Flashcards in Chapter 12: Discipline Equals Freedom - The Dichotomy of Leadership Deck (16)
Dichotomies of leadership: A good leader must be:
* confident but not cocky
* courageous but not foolhardy
* competitive but a gracious loser
* attentive to details but not obsessed by them
* strong but have endurance
* a leader and follower
* humble not passive
* aggressive not overbearing
* quiet not silent
* calm but not robotic, logical but not devoid of emotions
* close with the troops but not so close that one becomes more important than the good of the team; not so close that they forget who is in charge.
* able to execute Extreme Ownership, while exercising decentralized command
A good leader has ____, but ____
* nothing to prove
* everything to prove
Leadership requires finding the equilibrium in ____
the dichotomy of many seemingly contradictory qualities, between one extreme and another.
A good leader is not intimidated when ____
other step up and take charge
If a team is successful, the recognition will come for those in charge, but a leader ____
should not seek that recognition
The team must understand that their leader cares about them and their well being. But a leader must control ____
his or her emotions
Leaders who lose their temper also lose ____
overconfidence causes ____
complacency and arrogance
A leader must have a competitive spirit but ____
also be a gracious loser.
Leaders must never put their own drive for personal success ahead of ____
overall mission success for the greater team.
Leaders must act with professionalism and recognize ____
others for their contributions.
Leaders must possess humility and the ability to control ____ and ____.
* their ego
* listen to others
Leaders must admit mistakes and failures, ____
take ownership of them, and find a way to prevent them from happening again.
A leader must be able to stand up for the team and respectfully push back against ____
a decision, order, or direction that could negatively impact overall mission success.
Every member of the team must develop the trust and confidence that their leader will ____
exercise good judgement, remain calm, and make the right decisions when it matters most