Flashcards in Chapter 28 - Potter Text Review Questions Deck (10):
Which of the following activities reflect a culture of safety within a health care organization? (Select all that apply.)
1. A hospital purchases a new bar-code system to check patient identification during medication administration.
2. A hospital requires nurse managers to submit an annual safety plan for high-risk patients
3. A nurse commits an error while administering a high risk medication and is released from her position
4. A hospital enforces routine monthly checks of electrical equipment
1, 2, 4
Mr. Rosen is a 72-year-old patient who is scheduled for elective surgery. A review of his history shows that he takes a total of 6 medicines daily. He is generally healthy but has an enlarged prostate that causes him to go to the bathroom frequently. He had a low-grade Fever the night before surgery but is afebrile at 7 AM. Which factors place him at a fall risk? (Select all that apply.) 1. Low grade fever 2. Multiple medications 3. Elective surgery 4. Urinary frequency
Place the steps for conducting a Get Up and Go test in the proper order.
1. Turn around
2. Stand still and then walk 10 feet
3. Stand up from the chair
4. Sit down
5. Turn around and walk back to chair
3, 2, 5, 1, 4
The nurse finds a 68-year-old woman wandering in the hallway and exhibiting confused behavior. The patient says that she is looking for the bathroom. Which interventions are appropriate to ensure the safety of the patient? (Select all that apply.) 1. Ask the physician or health care provider to order a restraint. 2. Insert a urinary catheter. 3. Provide scheduled toileting rounds every 2 to 3 hours. 4. Consult with the health care provider about ordering an antianxiety medication 5. Keep the bed in low position with side rails down 6. Keep the pathway from the bed to the bathroom clear.
3, 5, 6
A home health nurse is visiting a patient and begins a discussion with the family caregiver about food safety. Which of the following statements made by the caregiver suggests that he or she requires further instruction?
1. "When I prepare a salad, I need to rinse the lettuce and mushrooms thoroughly?"
2. "I always wash my hands before I start to make a meal."
3. "When I make meat loaf, I use the cutting board to cut up onion and then shape the hamburger loaf on the same board."
4. "I always cook my husband's pork chops well done."
Place the following steps for applying a wrist restraint in the correct order.
1. Pad the skin overlying the wrist.
2. Insert 2 fingers under secured restraint to be sure that it is not too tight.
3. Be sure that the patient is comfortable and in correct anatomical alignment.
4. Secure restraint straps to bed frame with quick release buckle.
5. Wrap limb restraint around wrist or ankle with soft part toward skin and secure snugly.
3, 1, 5, 2, 4
Which of the following patient's are at risk for falls because of intrinsic factors? (Select all that apply.)
1. A patient with a tendency to have postural hypotension
2. A patient whose hospital room has a bedside commode and suction machine blocking the path to the bathroom
3. A patient who has bathroom floor mats that are thin and frayed
4. A patient who suffers dementia and has cataracts
A nursing team conference is being held to discuss a patient who wanders frequently. The 72-year-old gets lost on the nursing unit and goes into other patients' rooms. The nursing team selects a set of interventions. Which of the following is not an appropriate restraint alternative?
1. Arranging to have the patient work on a puzzle in her room
2. When the patient becomes aggressive with other patients, confronting her and immediately removing her from the room
3. Relocating the patient to a room near the nurses' station
4. Asking the patient's family to bring pictures of grandchildren to place in the patient's room
A young mother asks the nurse in the outpatient clinic what causes toddlers to often have accidents. Which of the following statements made by the nurse best answers the mothers question?
1. "Toddlers are curious about their surrounding environment."
2. "The toddler's environment expands."
3. "Toddlers take risks frequently."
4. "Many toddlers are exposed to stress in their daily activities."