Flashcards in Chapter 4- Communicating, perceiving, and understanding Deck (20):
nhan thuc. Identities influence
3 stages of perceptions:
1. Choosing which information to focus on.
2. Recognize what input represents.
- Choosing which information to focus on.
- attending to a narrow range of information available and ignore the remainder.
- People expose themselves to external stimuli in a selective way.
- Recognize what input represents.
- Your understanding of a concept.
Perceptual schema (cognitive representation)-
Ability to form mental model of the world. Organizing raw data.
Physical schemata (Prototypes)-
An idealized concept.
Interaction schemata (Scripts)-
Fixed sequence of events that acts as a guide for communication.
Creating schema that overgeneralize specific group.
Shapes how people interpret their perceptions.
Influences on interpretation
1) Degree of involvement
2) Relational satisfaction
3) Past experience
4) Assumptions about human behavior
6) Knowledge of Others
Influences on Perception-
View point toward particular issue based on their own perspective.
Similarity to others
Similarity over time
Similarity in different situations
Was behavior in person’s control or not?
high in all four (consensus, consistency, distinctiveness, controllability); other combo still offer meaningful information.
Fundamental Attribution Error occurs when
1. Negative behaviors to external factors.
2. Positive behaviors to internal factors.