Flashcards in Cirrhosis Deck (5)
What is cirrhosis?
Excessive deposition of fibrin and development of scar tissue distort the normal architecture and function of the liver
What are the main causes of cirrhosis?
Hepatitis C and alcoholic liver disease
What could a person with cirrhosis present with?
• Fatigue and loss of energy
• Poor appetite and weight loss
• Nausea or belly pain
• Small, red spider-like blood vessels on the skin
As liver function worsens, describe the symptoms
• Fluid build-up of the legs (oedema) and in the abdomen (ascites)
• Yellow colour in the skin, mucus membranes, or eyes (jaundice)
• Redness on the palms of the hands
• In men, impotence, shrinking of the testicles, and breast swelling
• Easy bruising and abnormal bleeding
• Confusion or problems thinking
• Pale or clay-coloured stools