Flashcards in Cold War Deck (83):
When was the Cold war?
From 1945- 1991
What is the Cold War?
Economic, Political and Military competition b/w the US and USSR.
What was the Containment Policy?
(Truman) Us policy after WWII to STOP THE SPREAD OF COMMUNISM.
What was NATO? and who was it btw?
North Atlantic Treaty Org. btw US and Western Europe.
What was formed btw USSR and Eastern Europe in response to NATO?
What is the Warsaw Pact?
Military and Economic alliance btw USSR and Eastern Europe.
Why does the US not trust USSR? (5)
- Want to spread Communism Worldwide
- They left WWI early
- They signed a treaty with Hitler
- They are determined to CONTROL Eastern Europe
- USSR does not want free Elections
Why does the USSR not trust the US? (4)
- US didn't recognize USSR for 16 years
- They were left out of the Treaty of Versailles
- Took the US too long to open a second front
- Kept the atomic bomb a secret
When was the Hydrogen Bomb developed in the US?
When was the Hydrogen Bomb developed in the USSR?
What is Brinkminkmanship?
The US willingness to go to the edge of the war and to use all of its force to contain Communism.
What did the US do in the Arms Race?
Trimmed Army and Navy and expanded Air Force and expanded Nuclear Weapons.
What were Bomb shelters?
Shelters built in case of a Nuclear attack from the USSR
What was Sputnik and when was it built?
In 1957 USSR launched the first artificial satellite
What begins the Space Race?
The launching of Sputnik in 1957
What is the NDEA?
US funding for education in science and Math
When was NASA created?
What is the Policy of Deterrence?
Having many nuclear weapons will keep the enemy from using theirs.
What was the U-2 incident? When?
May 1960, U-2 spy plane shot down by USSR.
Who was the first USSR man in space and when was it?
Yuri Gargrin, 1961.
Who was the first Man in Space?
1969- Niel Armstrong
What is the Iron Curtain?
Symbol division of Europe (Western Europe free, Eastern Europe Communism)
Who had the occupation of Berlin?
Britain, US, USSR, and France
When and what is the Truman Doctrine?
1947- Truman believed that communists will takeover weaken Europe. The civil war in Grease and Turkey brakes out and USSR wants control of it. The US gives aid to France and Turkey to fight off communism.
When and what was the Marshall Plan?
1947- Secretary of state John Marshall had two goals
1) Stop the Spread of Communism
2) Create a favorable environment for the democratic, free market.
How much Money did the US give to rebuilt Europe and convey the Marshall Plan?
2 billion dollars
What were the programs to stop the spread of communism?
Truman Doctrine, NATO, Marshall Plan
When was the Berlin crisis?
What does the USSR do to Berlin in 1948?
Orders a blockade in East Berlin to force allies out.
What do the Powers in response to the Berlin Blockade in 1948?
They respond with the Belin Airlift, they bring food, medicine and fuel and even toys to West Europe.
When was the Berlin wall built? and why was it built
1961, communists were leaving East Berlin.
When does the Berlin wall go down?
Who was the Nationalist leader in China? The US supports him?
Chasing Kai- Shek
Who was the communist of China? He has Soviet support.
Who takes over China in 1949?
Communist Mao Zedong
When does the civil war in China ends?
What is the importance in the civil war in China? (2)
-China becomes communist
-Leads McCarthyism in the US
What was the HUAC? (4)
(House UnAmerican Activities Comité)
- investigate un-loyal activities
- Target Hollywood movies die secreta messages and luring ppl into “communists”
- to root out “subversion”
Who were the Hollywood Ten?
-Hollywood starts that refused to answer questions of communism.
-they went to jail and would lose their jobs.
What was the Smith Act? And when was it? (2)
- crime to encourage the overthrow of government.
- Truman arrests anyone current or before who were communists.
What was the McCarran Act?and when was it? (2)
- communist organizations to register with the government
- deported immigrants who thought they were communists.
Who were Julius and Ethel Rosevelt? (2)
-they were ppl who were accused of giving information about the atomic bomb to soviets
- they were found guilty and doesn’t in 1953
When was the Korean War?
What was North Korea?
What was South Korea?
Who commands UN forces in Korea?
Who helps South Korea?
When was the cease fire in Korea?
Why does McAuthor get fired? By whom?
- he gets fired by Truman because he wanted to invade China instead of a cease fire.
What is the result of Korea?
It maintains divided till this day!
Who was Senator Joseph McCarty?
- Senator who turns in a plataforma of anti-communism
- he used this strategy to gain popularity in his campaign
What was McCarty’s goal?(2)
His goal was to get rid of Communism of people in the state department
- he accuses ppl with out evidence
How does McCartyism lose popularity?
He goes after the army and ppl start accusing him of being crazy.
When does Fidel Castro take control of Cuba?
What does the US do when Castro take control of Cuba? What does Cuba do?
- US cuts all ties with Cuba and put and embargo
- Cuba take in the soviets and trades with them
When was the Bay of Pigs Invasion?
What was the Bay of Pigs Invasion?(3)
- The US attempts to overthrow Castro
- CIA sponsored invasion
- The US trained and financed Cuban Rebels
Results of the Bay of Pigs?(2)
-Invasion fails and rebels killed.
-Cuba feels threatened by the US and Turns to the USSR
When was the Cuban Missle Crisis?
What was the Cuban Missle Crisis? (2)
-The US learns that Soviets are constructing offensive missile sites in Cuba.
- Kennedy used top-secret meeting of Key advisors to come up with a solution?
What was Kennedy's response to the Cuban Missle Crisis?
He orders a blockade of Cuba to stop any more supplies from getting there.
What were the results of the Cuban Missle Crisis?
-Kruschef backs down and removes missiles
- US agrees not to invade Cuba and remove missiles from Turkey.
- Kruschef removed from power in 1964 b/c Russians gets salty.
Who was the USSR president during the Cuban Missle Crisis?
Kruschef and then removed in 1964
What was a Detente?
An easing of tensions in the war.
What year does Nixon visit China?
Why does Nixon visit China in 1972? (2)
-He wanted specific neutral and trade agreements
- He wanted to take advantage of conflicts between China and USSR.
Who was president of USSR, when Nixon visits?
What is Salt I
Strategic Arms Limitation Talks
- Each side would reduce their anti-missile defense system but it didn't go into place until Salt II.
What was Salt II?
Real reductions in several classes of Nuclear Weapons?
Why was Salt II never ratified by the Senate, if Carter and Brezhnev signed it?
What does the Senate do after?
- They never ratified it because six months later the Soviets invade Afghanistan to prop up a weak lefist regime.
They place an embargo with the USSR in grain ad tech.
What does the US do in response to the Afghanistan Invasion by USSR?
US gave the other side of Afghanistan weapons
What did Ronald Regan wanted?
Bring an end to the Cold War.
What is the Regan Doctrine?
Destroy communism wherever it exists, not just contain it.
What was Star Wars? When was it?
1983- It was spaced based Missle defense system.
What were the results of Star Wars?
-It forced the Soviets to agree to the Arms Limitation Treaty.
When was the INF treaty?What was it?
1987, Gorbachev and Regan signed the treaty banning all intermediate-range nuclear missiles in Europe.
Who was president of USSR in 1985?
What did Gorbachev begin in 1985?
Democratic diplomacy in USSR
What happened in Berlin in 1987?
Regan said "Gorbachev tear down this wall"
What did the Soviets agree to In 1989?
They agreed to let go of Berlin and Unite the east and the West. The Berlin wall came down.
What happened in the USSR in March of 1989?
Fists Multi-Candidate election
What happened in 1991 in the USSR
Several counties declare independence!