Flashcards in Common Dianostic Tests Deck (13):
What are Hematocrit (PCV) and Total Plasma Proteins (TP) used for? (2)
What do Blood Chemistry and Electrolyte Panels tell you?
Provide vital information to guide immediate therapy
What are these abnormals for?
2. diabetes mellitus
3. urinary tract disease
Blood Chemistry and Electrolyte Panels
What can help you identify
3. infectious or inflammatory conditions
What can tell you about the animal's health based on...
1. information about renal perfusion/function
2. hydration status during fluid administration
urine volume and urine specific gravity
Fluid volumes in the body, or those coming out of the body, can be estimated using a weight scale. (2)
1. 1 mL of fluid = 1g of weight
2. 1 L of fluid = 1 kg of weight
What test can tell you...
1. Reveals acid-base and oxygenation abnormalities in animals
What is helpful in identifying and determining severity of respiratory problems (pneumonia, CHF) and metabolic abnormalities (urinary tract obstruction, diabetic ketoacidosis)?
Blood Gases Analysis
When is Lactic Acid produced?
during anaerobic metabolism
What increases Lactic Acid concentrations?
inadequate blood flow and oxygen delivery to tissues
What conditions can cause Lactic Acid concentrations to increase? (3)
3. crushing traumatic injuries
What can these things cause?
1. rodenticide toxicity
abnormalities in coagulation