Flashcards in Confidentiality Deck (10)
Confidentiality is both ?&? requirement.
legal and ethical
A therapist must maintain confidentiality if a client discloses crimes previously committed, UNLESS ?
the crime was against protected classes (child abuse, dependent adult/eldery abuse)
Confidentiality survives the? of a client.
There must be authorization from ?
death; the personal representative of the dead client
In a couple or group therapy, each member competent to sign and children ? years of age is required to sign prior to disclosure of information to ? or ?.
third party or each other
In group therapy, a therapist is ethically responsible to obtain agreement among all members to ?
respect the confidentiality of other members.
A therapist is not obligated to maintain confidentiality if a client does what?
commits an act of theft or violence agains therapist. I can report client's name to police.
3 Mandated Exceptions to Confidentiality
1. Child abuse
2. Dependent adult or elder abuse
3. Danger to others (report to law enforcement)
If a client with HIV/AIDS is having unprotected sex, what do I do?
I don't report because HIV/AIDS is protected status.
4 instances in which there is no client right to confidentiality
1. a court order (subpoena)
2. an order from a state board when investigating ethical violation.
3. a search warrant naming the therapist as the subject
4. a coroner's request in order to identify decedent/kin or when the death involve public health concern