Flashcards in Ethiopia Deck (11):
What region is Ethiopia in?
Sahel region of Eastern africa
What is it classified as in terms of the 5 fold division of wealth?
Highly Indebted Poor Country
What year did the famine happen?
Physical causes of the famine? (2)
-since 1970 Sahel region received less than av. rainfall
-1980: drought became so severe//climatic hazard//people could no longer be supported by the land
Human causes of famine? (4)
- Civil war used up 1/3rd of govt money
- Colonel Menghistu refused aid as famine area was in the battle grounds of civil war
- C.Menghistu spent $100million on his 10 year reign
- Mrs Thatcher cut back on aid and because Ethiopia wasn't part of the colony she didn't help
Where did the people flee to?
Korem (refugee camps) northern Ethiopia
How many people died?
What short term aid? (3)
-1984 food aid and medical aid
-£15 million raised by UK disasters Emergency committee
-£110 million raised by Ethiopian Emergency Relief (Band Aid)
What Long term aid?
- Development aid in 1990's:
planting drought resistant crops// providing loans for buying tools+setting up business
How much money was raised by the UK disasters emergency committee? (1984)