Flashcards in Food Safe - Unit 5 Deck (11)
Where should you accept food shipments from?
You should only accept food shipments from aproved sources, and check that the delivery vehicle is clean
What sources are considered approved?
- has a government stamp
- perform regular inspections
- check fro cleaniness and pests
What should you check before recieivng food?
- the cleaniness and pests of the vehicle
- chemicals have been stored separately from food and food containers on the vehicle
- check for spillage and leakage
- refrigeration and freezer units on the vehicle are at correct temperature
- check internal temperature of foods
In what order should you put away the foods?
1. Potentially hazardous foods requiring refrigeration (meats, seafood, dairy, etc.)
2. frozen foods
3. less hazardous foods that require refrigeration (fresh, uncut fruits and vegetables, etc.)
4. dry goods
What principles should you use when storing foods?
Use the "first in, first out: (FIFO) principle
What does the FIFO principle mean?
Pull older stock to the front of the shelf and store the new stock behind so htat older stocks are used first
What should you do to protect food from contamination?
Protect food from contamination by wrapping and covering it (with plastic wraps or tin foils)
What containers should you use to store foods?
Use only food-grade containers to store food; do not re-use empty containers to store food
What should you label the product with?
Make sure that all food is labeled with the product name and the date that it was received
Where should and should not all food be stored?
- Do not store food on the floor
- All food should be stored at least 15 cm (6 in) off of the floor