Flashcards in hitler and the events up to war Deck (13):
in january 1935 hitler organized a plebiscite to decide the saar‘s independence: 90% of voters chose a reunion with germany. the saar was returned to germany in MARCH.
the rhineland was demilitarised; hitler accepted this by signing the LOCARNO TREATIES in 1925
in march 1936 hitler sent troops into the rhineland; received a popular welcome
- in 1934, a nazi revolt in austria failed after mussolini moved italian troops to the austrian border
- by 1936, hitler and mussolini became allies due to the rome-berlin axis
- hitler encouraged austrian nazi‘s to stage demonstrations and protests. in february 1938, he said an austrian nazi seyss-inquart will be made minister of the interior.
- hitler threatened to invade if the austrian chancellor SCHUSCHNIGG did not resign, which he eventually did.
- 15th March 1938: hitler entered vienna to proclaim the greater german reich. germany and austria were now united.
CZECHOSLOVAKIA AND SUDETENLAND
- czechoslovakia had a large ethnic german population: 3 million
- in may 1938, hitler threatened to go to war, and benes was ready to fight.
- chamberlain and daladier pressured the czechs to give hitler concessions
what was the munich agreement?
- hitler invited chamberlain, daladier and mussolini to a conference in munich
- they produced the munich agreement, which gave sudetenland to germany but guaranteed the rest of czechoslovakia would stay put
- chamberlain‘s famous „piece of paper“
what was the pact of steel?
pact signed between germany and italy in may 1939; promised they would help each other if war was declared
what two treaties did russia and germany sign?
molotov and ribbentrop (nazi-soviet)
german-soviet commercial agreement
when was the molotov-ribbentrop pact signed?
23 august 1939
when was the nazi-soviet commercial agreement signed?
february 11, 1940
when was the rome-berlin axis announced?
november 1st, 1936
what was the anti-comintern pact?
a pact between germany and japan which was directed against communistic soviet union and the international movement towards communism
when was the anti-comintern pact signed?
november 25, 1936