Flashcards in Weimar Republic 1919-1924 Deck (13):
what were the advantages of a new government?
- provided new leader
- all germans could vote
- bill of rights
disadvantages of the new government
- too radical, too new for volatile germany
- PR encouraged lots of small parties - no one ever had enough sears to form a government
what was the kiel mutiny?
on november 3, 1918, german sailors mutinied instead of attacking the british royal navy. this mutiny sparked rebellions all over the country and led to the kaisers abdication
which party and leader led the new government?
SPD and friedrich ebert
why did germans hate the new government?
for signing the arimistice in november 1918: they called them the november criminals
- for signing the treaty of versailles
spartacist uprising: date
5 - 12 january 1919
spartacist uprising: key facts
50 000 members of the post war- communist party rebelled in berlin, led by rosa luxemburg and karl liebknecht
- freikorps defeated them
kapp putsch: date
13-17 march 1920
kapp putsch key facts
freikorps needed to be reduced due to TOE
- army refused to attack the freikorps
- defeated when ebert decided to call in a general strike
french and belgian occupation of the ruhr
in 1922 france and belgium sent teoops into germanys main industrial area, the RUHR VALLEY.
the german wokers followed a policy of passive resistance - refusing to work or co operate with the foreign troops, and the government continued to pay their wages
- germany had to pay more money to the worlers (and reperations) so this led to hyperinflation
hyperinflation key facts
- a loaf of bread which cost 250 marks in january 1923 had risen to 200,000 million marks in november 1923.
- it eventually cost more money to print a note than the note was worth
- workers were often paid twice per day because prices rose ro fast their wages were virtually worthless by lunchtime
businessmen and landowners found they could pay back their loans easily with worthless money
people on wages were safe as they could negotiate their wages ever day