Flashcards in Immunotherapy Deck (20)
What is the mechanism of immunotherapy?
-Increase production of IgG
- Alter IgE synthesis and decrease reactivity of mast cells and basophils contributing to the allergic response
What are the indications for immunotherapy?
- Inability to avoid allergens
- Failure of medications
- Intolerable side-effects of medication
- evidence of IgE mediated allergic disease diagnosed by skin test or RAST blood test
- Availability of allergen extracts
- Patient ability to comply with the schedule
- absence of contraindications
What are the contraindications for immunotherapy?
- Compromised lung function
- Unstable Asthma
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Failure of a Major Organ System
- Mentally/Physically unable to communicate
- Anticipated Pregnancy
How long must the patient wait once they receive immunotherapy?
What are the three types of reactions for immunotherapy?
- Local Reactions
- Anaphylactic Reactions
What is the proper treatment for Anaphylaxis?
- Notify Physician
What are the two types of immunotherapy?
Aeroallergen Prescription form?
Venom Prescription Form?
What is required for each SF 559 to be valid?
Which Immunotherapy prescription is tailored to the individual?
Aeroallergen SF 559
What three basic rules do you take into consideration for reductions of areoallergen AIT? (in order)
Which AIT prescription goes by weeks and not days?
After making reductions the desired dose is not found on the schedule, what dose is going to be administered?
You will round DOWN to the closest dose and administer that dose.
Clinical studies have found that effective AIT is _________ and ___________ in an "allergic" patient.
- Dose Dependent
- Allergen Specific
Immunotherapy may ________ airway hyperactivity if maintained for a few years or more, but may also ___________ it with in the first year of therapy.
Which two molds, have studies shown the only clinical benefit for immunotherapy patients?
The only absolute indication for immmunotherapy is in patient who has had severe IgE mediated anaphylactic reactions to ___________ and _______________.
- Venom Stings
- Those likely to be stung again
An uncomplicated typical course of allergy immunotherapy should last for how long at maintenance dose?