Flashcards in Metabolism Deck (17):
Energy intake is
Caloric intake that we get from out diet
Energy output or expenditure is?
• Basal metabolic rate
• Thermic effect of digestion
• Daily activity
• Caloric Balance
• Maintain weight
• If body weight does not change over the course of several days or weeks, there is caloric balance
Intake > Output means
• Positive Caloric State
• Gain weight
Output > Intake means
• Negative Caloric State
• Lose weight
Weight Management: What are both sides of the equation?
• Caloric Intake; adjust the diet & ingest fewer calories
• Caloric output; Get enough physical activity, increase daily activity, exercise causes positive adaptations to the cells
Body weight provides a?
Rough estimate of energy state
Normal weight is?
Average weight for a given height
More than average body weight from muscle, fat, or water
Less than average body weight from muscle, fat, or water
Having excess body fat
• Most commonly used measurement in clinical and research settings
• Does NOT actually measure fat
• Strong bias (error) in muscular individuals
• Moderately related to the best method (hydrostatic
weighing) for measuring fat (r = .71)
Body Mass Index
• It is a ratio of?
• Does not indicate what the?
body mass (kg) / Height (m2)
• weight per unit height
• body is made up of
40 Extreme Obesity
Used to study relationship between body size (_____) and risk of disease (_________) and early death (_______).
Risk of disease= morbidity
Early death= mortality
Research by the CDC shows that Underweight or Obese
increases risk of?
disease and early death