Flashcards in Neuro/Psych 3 Deck (19):
What are the neuro comorbidities associated with Down syndrome?
- Intellectual disability
- Early-onset Azlheimer disease
What are the characteristic pathologic changes associated with Alzheimer disease?
- Accumulation of intracellular neurofibrillary tangles and extracellular amyloid-beta plaques
- Arise due to amyloid precursor protein gene
Which protein comprises neurofibrillary tangles?
It's hyperphosphorylated in AD
How does N. meningitidis get access to the CNS?
- Colonizes nasopharynx
- Invades mucosal epithelium => blood stream
- Spread to choroid plexus => BBB
Pharynx => Blood => Choroid plexus => Meninges
Purpose of ornithine
- Transports into mitochondria
- Essential for urea formation
- Combines with carbamoyl phosphate in mitochondria to form citrulline
What needs to be restricted in your diet if you cannot transport ornithine into the mitochondria?
- Otherwise ammonia will accumulate => neurological damage
Paralysis of the stapedius nerve presentation
aka sensitive to sound
- Facial nerve (CN VII) origin
Where do you do a femoral nerve block?
At the inguinal crease
Lesion of glossopharyngeal nerve (CN IX)
- Loss of gag reflex (afferent limb)
- Loss of sensation in upper pharynx, posterior tongue, tonsils, middle ear cavity
- Loss of taste sensation on the posterior third of tongue
Biceps and brachioradialis reflexes test which spinal nerve roots?
Which tracts send info to the ventral posterior lateral nucleus?
- Dorsal column
What input is sent into the ventral posterior medical nucleus?
What are lacunar infarctions?
- Small vessel occlusion in penetrating vessels supplying deep brain structures
- Due to lipohyalinosis and microatheroma formation
- Uncontrolled HTN and DM are major risk factors
What is serotonin syndrome?
- Any drugs that increase serotonin levels
- Combo of SSRIs and MAOIs
- High dose SSRIs
What AA is the precursor for serotonin?
What AA is the precursor for dopamine, epi, norepi and melanin?
Tx for serotonin syndrome
- An antihistamine w/ anti-5-HT1 and 2 receptors
What is used for benzo overdose?