Flashcards in Neuro/Psych 5 Deck (17):
What is incidence?
# of new cases of a disease/year divided by total pop'n at risk for disease (doesn't already have it)
Where does the AA bind on tRNA?
The 3' end
This corresponds to the anticodon read on the opposite side (the top of the t)
What is kinesin?
- Microtubule-associated ATP-powered motor protein
- Facilitates anterograde transport of NT-containing secretory vesicles down axons to synaptic terminals
What are telangiectasias?
Superficial blanching nests of distended capillaries
- Cerebellar ataxia
- Increased risk of sinopulm infections
ATM gene defect => role in DNA break repair
IgA deficiency, predisposed to ^ed risk of hematologic malignancies
Neurofibromatosis type I
aka von Recklinghausen disease
- Mutation in NF1 tumor suppressor gene
- Pts develop a shit ton of cutaneous neurofibromas made of Schwann cells
Schwann cells embryologic derivative
Neural crest (from ectoderm)
Wernicke syndorme tria
- Oculomotor dysfunction
Due to Thiamine (B1) deficiency
complication of Wernicke encephalopathy
Memory loss => permanent even w/ Thiamine tx
Pathophys of Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome
- Chronic thiamine def => impairs neuronal energy use => cell death & atrophy
- Lesions are paraventricular & often involve mamillary bodies
Tx of Wernicke-Korsakoff?
Admin of glucose before Thiamine => worsens symptoms
MOA of lamotrigine
- Blocks VG-Na channels
- Treats partial and generalized seizures and bipolar disorder
SEs of lamotrigine
- especially kids
What is Stevens-Johnson syndrome (SJS) and toxic epidermal necrolysis (TEN)?
- It's a life-threatening rash
- SE of lamotrigine, carbamazepine, phenobarbial, & phenytoin
- Epidermal necrosis & subepidermal bullae
- SJS 30% of body surface
Flu-like sx + rash that goes away w/ discontinuation of meds
What are types of cholinesterase inhibitors?
What are the two reasons exacerbations of myasthenia gravis in pts being treated w/ cholinesterase inhibitors may occur?
- Myasthenic crisis (not enough drugs)
- Cholinergic crisis (too much of the drug aka too much Ach)