Flashcards in Peace & Conflict Deck (64)
What is peace?
In a peaceful society everybody has enough to live comfortably, so there is no need for conflict and arguments.
What did Isaiah say in the bible that supports peace?
‘They will turn their swords into ploughs . . . Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore’.
What is justice?
When everyone gets what they deserve
Name 3 scriptures you could use when talking about justice
1. Humans are 'made in the image of god'
2. "loose the chains of injustice...set the oppressed free"
3. "Whatever you do for the least of my brothers you are doing for me"
What is reconciliation?
Rebuilding a relationship with your enemies
Give 3 examples of how reconciliation occurs after a war
1. War prisoners exchanged
2. Help with rebuilding their infrastructure
3. New trade deals
Name 3 scriptures you could use when talking about reconciliation
1. "Do not repay evil for evil...but overcome evil with good" - Saint Paul
2. "Love your enemies" - Jesus
3. "Love your neighbour as you love yourself"
Why are Buddhists pacifists?
Because they have a purpose of bringing an end to suffering
Which of the 5 moral precepts explain why Buddhists are pacifists?
"I abstain from taking life"
Why would Metta be relevant to reconciliation?
It encourages you to show kindness to all creatures, including your worst enemies
Name 2 of the Eightfold path that could be used to oppose conflict
"Right Action" - Controlling feelings of anger
"Right Livelihood" - Not working in the arms industry
What will Karuna encourage Buddhists to do?
Help victims of war
Give 4 reasons why Thich Nhat Hahn is an important Buddhist
1. He helped villagers during the Vietnam war even though he was exiled for doing so
2. He says that in order to achieve true inner peace then you must change the structures of society that influence people's behaviour
3. Said that Meditation helps dissolve anger
4. He would rather let himself be killed than betray Buddhist principles
What is the Parable of the Saw?
That even if your enemies are chopping each of your limbs off with a saw, you should still love and forgive them
Give 2 ways the Tzu Chi Project help victims of war
1. Distributing food and other necessities
2. Giving them physiological and spiritual help to overcome their traumas
What did the Dalai Lama say was an acceptable reason for war?
What are three reasons for self defence? Give an example for each
Defending your country against attack (ww2), Defending a way of life (American civil war), Defending your beliefs (Palestinian war)
What are the 3 causes of war? Give an example for each
Greed (Boer War), Retaliation (Afghanistan), Self Defence (WW2)
Scripture for Land and Resources
'The Love of Money is the root of all evil' - Romans
Scripture for Retaliation
'Do not repay evil with evil, but overcome evil with love'' - Romans
What is pacifism?
the belief that violence is always wrong and that peaceful means should be used to deal with conflict.
How was Martin Luther King a famous pacifist?
by making a point of turning the other cheek in order to fight against injustice. He said ‘meet hate with love’.
What is a conscientious objector?
Pacifists that will help in the war but never actually fight, e.g. ambulance drivers, nurses
What are Absolutists?
Pacifists that will help in no way duing a war situation, often are arrested for it
Give 5 scriptures for Pacifism
"Do not Kill" - 10 commandments
"Turn the other cheek" - Jesus
"blessed are the peacemakers" - Jesus
"those who live by the sword die by the sword" - Jesus
"Love your enemies"
Give 5 reasons why Buddhists are Pacifists
Violence causes suffering, 'I abstain from taking life', Metta, 'It is better to conquer yourself than win a thousand battles' - Buddha, Unskilful action
What are 2 problems with pacifism?
Others fight on behalf of pacifists, allows evil to continue
What is one argument for pacifism?
Violence breeds violence
What Is Just War?
A war that is seen as acceptable if it follows the 7 criteria