Flashcards in Relaxation and Stress Reduction Deck (16):
Who would you use this technique with?
1. those who are abused or neglected as children.
2. Those who have been traumatized (PTSD, Panic Attacks)
3. Those who have gone through a series of losses in a short time
4. Those who report feeling out of control (sleep, eating, emotions)
5. Those who complain of irritability and stress at work or home.
6. Those who have been doing emotionally intense work in sessions
Core Person / Safe Place
What is important before you dig up past traumas?
Before you can dig up past traumas you need to make sure that the client can self soothe or self nurture
What are the Two nervous systems in our bodies?
1. Central Nervous System (voluntary muscle control)
2. Autonomic Nervous System (controls internal organs, arteries
What are the two branches of the Autonomic Nervous System?
1. Sympathetic Nervous system (fight or flight)
2. Parasympathetic Nervous System (relaxation response)
What is the goal with relaxation techniques?
The intent is to activate the Parasympathetic Nervous System by thinking about the signs in our bodies that are the results of Parasympathetic branch activation.
1. My hands and arms are warm and heaving
2. My breathing is deep and slow
3. my heartbeat is slow and regular
4. My feet and legs are warm and heavy
5. My forehead is cool and dry
Describe Multisensory Imagery
1. what do you see?
2. What do you hear?
3. What do you feel?
4. What do you smell?
5. What do you taste?
Refer to page 145 - Deadly Dozen
Physical Responses to Distress
How do you induce a hypnotic trance?
By using autogenics with multisensory imagery you can pce your suggestions with the rising and falling of your speech with your clients breathing. Makes the client feel relaxed and calm.
Hypnotic trances occur when?
ie) taking a long car ride
1. deep physical relaxation
2. sensory focus
3. alternate consciousness
Describe the core person exercise
Client is sitting and breathing out tension.
Let it melt away.
Allow a colour to emerge
Allow a form of music, vibration
thing or an object or shape and the movement and notice the temperature.
Allow a fragrance to come in.
Allow a scene to enter your consciousness and you feel wonderful in that scene.
Your thoughts are clear, emotions are positive and you are completely aware of the wisdom and strength you possess at the CORE. Your CORE PERSON is so deep and strong and sold.
Finally reflect on all of these aspects of your core person, notice which one seems to activate all of the rest.
Find a way to get that aspect in your daily life and workplace.
How do you do Diaphramatic Breathing?
1. One hand on your abdomen the other on your chest.
2. Close your eyes and take a deep breath in through your nose.
3. Notice how much each of your hands rises
4. Count each time you exhale, in sets of four for 5 to 10 minutes.
5. Sigh deeply letting out a sound of deep relief as the air rushes from your lungs
6. As you inhale say to yourself, breathe in relaxation and as you breathe out, breathe out tension
How do you perform muscle relaxation?
Distinguish between tense and relaxed muscles by working through muscle groups in order
2. Head, Face Throat and Shoulders
3. Chest, Stomach and lower back and
4. Thighs, buttocks, calves and feet
Tense each muscle group from 5 to 7 seconds and then release for 20-30 seconds in each muscle group 5 times
when releasing say let go of the trnsion
tense dominant fists, tighten biceps and forearms
Pull feet and toes towards face
After each time, say leg to more
Do for 30 minutes per day
How do you use Autogenics?
Activate Parasympathetic Nervous System by facing your slow deep breathing to give yourself the following 5 suggestions
1. My hands and arms feel heavy
2. My breathing is deep and slow
3. My heartbeat is slow and regular
4. My forehead is cool and dry
5. My feet and legs are warm and heavy
You activate physical responses in your body which is assc with these phrases
How do you use Imagery?
Use Positive Multisensory Mental Imagery
You recall a safe, relaxing place in your mind. ie) beach. Make a mental protection around this place (a fence)
Then do Autogenics and Multisensory imagery described above