Flashcards in Religion & Life Deck (70):
What Questions does Science Answer?
What Questions does Religion Answer?
Explain what the big bang theory is
is the leading scientific explanation for the beginning of the Universe. This suggests that the universe began as an incredibly small and dense point, known as a singularity, which started to expand over 13.8 billion years ago. As this expanded and cooled, gases formed and then matter which formed stars and galaxies
What is a creationist?
People who believe the creation story in genesis to be literally true
What are the 3 reasons to support the creationist argument
1. God wouldn’t lie in the Bible
2. When he created the universe “it was good”
3. They explain away the “physical evidence”
What do Liberal Christians believe about the Creation story
the story at the beginning of Genesis was just a story – a myth with a meaning written for an ancient people who had no understanding of science.
What are the 3 meanings of the creation story
1. God was behind the creation of the universe,
2. That God is powerful and cares for us human beings in particular (we are ‘sacred’)
3. That humans have been given the job of looking after the world
What is Red Shift?
the light waves become longer and redder as they move away from us.
What are 2 pieces of evidence for the scientific explanation?
Cosmic Background Radiation and Red-shift
What is Cosmic Background Radiation?
Photons (tiny particles of light) are still cooling and emit electromagnetic waves which can be picked up by your radio or TV set.
Give 3 scriptures to support the Creation Story
• In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth
• And God said, Let us make man in our image, and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea,
• And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good.
What is Awe?
Non-religious people marvelling at the laws of science and nature
What is Wonder?
Christians marvelling at God's creation
What do Buddhists believe about God the creator?
They don't believe in God
What do Buddhists believe about the origin of the universe?
That the Universe is in a life cycle, the big bang was the start of it
Explain Buddha's story of the poisoned arrow
A man came into a hospital after being shot with a poisoned arrow, the doctors were so concerned with who shot the arrow but not with treating the man. This shows that you shouldn't worry about the past, but focus on more important things like overcoming suffering
What is Pollution?
Burning of fossil fuels & Chemicals that contribute to the destruction of the earth's atmosphere
What is Destruction of Natural Habitat?
Humans destroying the homes of many animals for their own use. Hedges and Forests are included in this.
What is Deforestation?
Cutting down of trees
What is Climate Change?
Greenhouse gases heating up the earth's atmosphere, leading to the melting of ice caps and therefore flooding
What is Abuse of Natural Resources?
Wasting our limited supply of natural resources
Give 5 examples of scripture relating to the environment
1. "God saw all that he made and it was good"
2. "The heavens declare the glory of the Lord, the skies proclaim the work of his hands"
3. "Let us make man in our own image and they will rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the air, over the livestock, over all the earth”.
5. Sanctity of Life issue
What is the big switch?
Christian churches converting to green energy sources
Give 3 Christian arguments against the environment
1. God gave us the world to use, so we should use it as we wish
2. We shouldn't worry about life on earth, focus on heaven or the afterlife
3. Poverty and disease are more important than the environment
What do Buddhists believe about the environment? (3 things)
1. Humans aren't In charge because there's no god or creator, dependant arising
2. Anatta, we shouldn't be selfish
3. Mindfulness rather than Awe & Wonder
WHY do Buddhists care for the environment?
- suffering is caused by desire (2nd Noble Truth)
- I abstain from taking what is not freely given (5 Moral Precepts)
What is Stewardship?
The belief that humans should take care of the rest of the world
What is Dominion?
The belief that humans are above all other beings
Give 2 scriptures relating to animal rights
1. "the righteous care for the needs of their animals” (Proverbs 12v10)
2. “do not muzzle an ox while it is threshing the grain” (Deuteronomy 25v4)
When was testing cosmetics on animals banned in the UK?
Give one Christian argument FOR animal experimentation
Dominion, if it benefits human's it's acceptable (e.g finding a cure for cancer)
Give three Christian arguments AGAINST animal experimentation
2. Other alternatives for testing, e.g extracting tissue
3. Humans and animals aren't the same
Give 2 bible references for using animals for food
1. : “Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you” (Genesis 9v3).
2. “The one who eats everything must not treat with contempt the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted them both” (Romans 14v3).
Why might Christians choose to be Vegetarian?
It's more sustainable than eating meat
Give 6 reasons why Buddhists care for animals
2. Metta / Karuna
3. Abstaining from taking life
4. 'Right action' and 'Right Livelihood'
5. Dependant Arising
Give 2 different Buddhist views on animal testing
AGAINST ; They won't work in a factory that tests on animals because of the 8 fold path
FOR ; Karuna If it benefits many people
Why do Theravada Buddhists eat meat? (3 reasons)
1. In their scripture Buddha eats meat
2. Not necessary for Enlightenment
3. Buddhist Monks are only allowed to eat food gifted to them, this may include meat
Why don't Mahayana Buddhists eat meat?
Buddha said not to. Doesn't show Karuna
What does being made in God's Image imply? 4 things
1. Humans are at the top of creation
2. Only Humans made in God's image
3. We didn't evolve
4. We have a purpose
What is Natural Selection?
Some animals are born with slight mutations which either puts them at an advantage or at a disadvantage in their environment
What is Evolution?
Species changing over time
What does Evolution imply? 3 things
1. Humans are an accident
2. We're not made in God's image
3. We have no purpose
Why are Humans special to Buddhists?
They can achieve enlightenment
Give 6 bible references for abortion
1. 'Made in God's image'
2. and the word was made flesh and dwelt among us (John 1:14)
3. ‘You knew me before I was born . . . All the days allotted to me were written in your book before any of them ever began’
4. ‘Do not kill’ and ‘Choose life’
5. ’Whatever you do for the least of my brothers and sisters you are doing for me’
6. ‘Do not judge, or you too will be judged’
When does British law say you can have an abortion up until?
24 weeks, viability
What is Pro-Life?
What is Pro-choice?
When do Pro-life supporters say life begins?
When do Pro-choice supporters say life begins?
What are 3 alternatives to abortion?
Adoption, Christians offering financial aid, Fostering
Give 3 reasons why Buddhists are against Abortion
Dependent Arising, 1st Moral Precept, Unskilful action
Why may Buddhists support abortion?
Karuna and Wisdom
Give 4 Bible references for Euthanasia
1. Sanctity of Life
2. You knew me before I was born . . . All the days allotted to me were written in your book before any of them ever began.
3. Do not kill
4. Choose Life
Give the 4 different types of Euthanasia
Passive, Active, Non voluntary, Voluntary
What is Passive Euthanasia?
Withdrawal of treatment
What is Active Euthanasia?
Using an injection
What is Voluntary Euthanasia?
When the patient requests to be killed
What is Non- Voluntary Euthanasia?
When the patient is not in a position to give consent for being killed
Why do Fundamentalist Christians oppose euthanasia?
They value sanctity of life
What type of Euthanasia do Liberal Christians support?
What would people who are for euthanasia argue?
Quality of Life
What are Hospices?
Hospitals for people with long-term illnesses, possibly term
List 4 things a Hospice does
counselling for families & patients, Respite care, alternative therapies, accomidation
Why are Buddhists against Euthanasia? 4 things
Dependant Arising, 1st Moral Precept, Unskilful action, can't become a bodhisattva without patience
Why may Buddhists support Euthanasia? 2 things
Karuna, important to have a peaceful death in order to have a successful rebirth
What did the Dalai Lama say about Euthanasia?
It's acceptable only in extreme circumstances
What do some Christians say gets you to Heaven?
What do Protestants say gets you to Heaven?
Asking for forgiveness as we are all sinners
Why does Sanctity of life mean we shouldn't commit abortion or euthanasia?
Only god has the right to take a life, we are special, babies are the most vulnerable members of society