Flashcards in Religion and Peace Deck (24)
Christianity Quote 1
"Peace I leave you, my peace I give to you. I do not give as the world give." - John 14:27
Christianity Quote 2
"Love your enemies, do good to those who harm you." - Matt 5:9
Christianity Quote 3
"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God."
Christianity Quote 4
"Have salt in yourselves, be at peace with one another." - Mark 9:50
Christianity Quote 5
"Jesus is our peace… he has broken down the dividing wall." - Eph 2:13-14
Islam Quote 1
"Do not make mischief in the land they say, 'We are but peacemakers.'" - Sura 2:11
Islam Quote 2
"Peace be upon the one who walks in the paths of peace." - Hadith
Islam Quote 3
"Believers are but siblings, therefore make peace among siblings." - Sura 49:10
Islam Quote 4
"Do good, guard against evil, make peace." - Sura 2:224
Islam Quote 5
"The true Muslim is he who others are sure no harm will come from." - Hadith
Islam Quote 6
"Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you, but do not commit aggression - for truly Allah does not love aggressors." - Sura 2:190
- Main Christian teaching
- defence of the human person & associated rights
- end of poverty
- sacramental nourishment
- saintly models
- peace must be DONE (Bornhoffer)
- "Blessed are the peacemakers"
Just War Theory
- war as a last resort
- war only under certain conditions, and only to achieve greater peace
Islam main teachings
- greeting: "Peace be upon you"
"Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him)"
- Islam as the 'Paths of Peace'
- Greater Jihad - struggle to submit to Allah's will
- Lesser Jihad - ideally to lead to peaceful protection of Islam
Christianity provides inner peace through:
- right relationship with God
- balance of prayer & action (ministry)
- sacramental nourishment
- faithful to the gospels & Jesus' teaching, modelling lives on his example
- sense of community - belonging
- meaning for life
____ Hope of salvation where relationship with God can be continually sustained____
Islam provides inner peace through:
- being at peace with Allah, with oneself & with the rest of the world
- complete submission to Allah through following the 5 pillars - spiritual commitment & outward sign
- sufism - as other Muslims do, but after deep internal peace through SPECIAL connection with Allah
Christianity seeks after world peace through:
Islam seeks after world peace through:
- attempting to educate non-Muslims about their values & beliefs -> SoR
- work is hampered by prejudice & extremist action
- participate in many interfaith initiatives
- Nuden Rahman -> peace activist
Christianity Quote: World Council of Churches
"Work towards building a culture of peace in a world pervaded by a culture of violence."
Islam Quote: Prayer of the Prophet
"Oh Allah, you are the original source of peace."
Islam Quote 7
"Tranquility is given by Allah."
Islam Quote 8
"The merciful will be shown mercy by the All Merciful. Show mercy to those on earth and Allah will show mercy to you."
Islam Quote 9
"All people are as equal as the teeth of a comb."