Flashcards in Respiratory Drugs Deck (9)
What is pulmonary oedema?
Lungs are full of fluid
- Not all alveoli filled
1. Give 100% oxygen to maximise O2 in the blood
- intermittent positive pressure ventilation (IPPV) and possibly positive end expiratory pressure (PEEP)
2. Give Frusemide diuretic gel to remove water from alveoli and into the blood
3. Increase alveolar ventilation
4. Other drugs
What must you consider when giving oxygen to an animal?
To treat hypoxia
Avoid giving 100% O2 for > 4 hours
- use 50% O2 for long term treatment
Oxygen supports combustion!
How do you treat upper respiratory (URT) problems?
- Treat the primary problem
-- if caused by virus nothing can be done
- Symptomatic treatment of secondary problem
How do you treat upper respiratory (URT) inflamed mucous membranes?
How do you treat upper respiratory (URT) excessive mucus production?
How do you treat upper respiratory (URT) thick mucus?
How do you treat upper respiratory (URT) coughing?
How do you treat RAO (COPD)?
- Cromoglycate (prevents release of inflammatory chemicals e,g, histamine from mast cells)