Flashcards in Role Of The Church Deck (21):
what does the parable of the sheep teach
that if people fail to help those around them, it is as though they fail to help Jesus himself
what does 1 john 3:17 say that promotes helping others
- "if anyone has material possessions and ignores his brother in need, how can he love God"
- "lets not love with words or thought but with actions and truth"
what are street pastors
- christians who go out on city streets at night to care for the physical and spiritual needs of young people
- who might be affected by drinking, drugs etc
what do street pastors do
they care for, listen and try to help regardless of the young peoples behaviour
what are the roles of churches in communties
- they have been a major souce of social services such as schools and hospitals
- they campaign for justice and champion the neglected
what do christians do to help the community (food)
- christians volunteer to work in food banks and donate to food banks
- because it fits with the teachings of compassion to those in need "for i was hungry and you gave me something it eat"
- the food gives poor people a reliable source of non perishable and reduces stress on them
what do the salvation army do to help the community
- they help the poor and disadvantaged by setting up food kitchens and hostels for the homeless, including emergency services
- they make toy collections for christmas for children
- they provide training and employment help services
what does the st vincent de paul society do to help the community
- they set up support centers and counselling services
- provide work training
- help refugees, released prisoners, the disables and mentally ill people
what is the power quote that can be applied to this topic
- "for i was hungry ans you gave me something to eat, i was thirsty and you gave me something to drink"
- "i was a stranger and you invited me in, i needed clothes and you clothed me"
- i was sick and you looked after me , i was in prison and you came to visit me"
why do christians help the less fortunate and try to relieve poverty
- because they want to follow in the footsteps of Jesus as their role model
- as jesus spent much of his time helping others in society who were needy or outcasts
what did jesus say while he helped the less fortunate
"it is not the well that need a doctor but the sick"
what is the parable of the rich man and Lazarus about and what does it teach christians
- it is a story that jesus told about how a rich man went to hell because he ignored the cries from a begger
- it teaches christians that not helping the less fortunate when you can is practically a sin
- and vice versa, helping the poor is a holy thing to do
what does the parable of the good samaritan teach
- the importance of caring for all people
- as jesus spent much of his time helping outcasts
what does jesus say about persecution in Matthew 5:10-12
"blessed are those who are prosecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven."
what do christians believe about suffering for your faith
- christians believe that people who suffer for their faith share a unique way with jesus
- "i want to know christ - yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings."
what did the second century church father Tertullian say about persecution and what does it mean
- "the blood of martyrs is the seed of the church"
- hes saying that the church grows because of persecution because people witness the calm assurance of hope of eternal life that christians have
what do christians believe about violence against them
- christians believe that when faced with verbal of physical abuse,they should still show love
- "do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good"
- teaches that positivity is the response christians should have to evil actions
what quote from the bible tells christians a metaphorical action to do when being slapped
"if someone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also"
what quote encourages churches to help christians that are in trouble
- in corinthians, paul describes christians and church as a body and says
- "if one part suffers, every part suffers with it"
- meaning that if a few christians or churches are suffering, other christians need to aid them for the sufferers sake and theirs
what actions do christians do to help christians that are persecuted
- by praying for them
- and raising awareness with practical help