Flashcards in Section 4 - Healthy, Fitness and Well-being Deck (35)
What are the benefits of being physically healthy ?
- body's organs work well
- don't suffer from illness, disease or injury
- strong and fit enough to complete everyday actiities
- reduce the risk of obesity
- more flexible muscles
What long term health risks does exercise reduce ?
- high blood pressure
- helps remove cholesterol which reduces CHD
- type 2 diabetes
What are the benefits of being mentally healthy ?
- feeling confident
- manage emotions / emotional stable
- not too much stress or anxiety
- no mental illness
What effects does exercise have on mental health ?
- increase self esteem
- competing improves your ability to deal with pressure
- helps relieve stress
- level of endorphins increases
- level of serotonin increases (in brain)
What are the benefits of being socially healthy ?
- have friends
- have worth in community
- food, shelter, clothing
What effects does exercise have on social health ?
- helps you make friends (from different backgrounds)
- helps with teamwork
- learn new skills which links with work success
What is the acronym for key lifestyle choices ?
Recreational drugs (alcohol nicotine)
Work / Rest / Sleep balance
What are the effects your diet has on your body ?
- balanced diet supports healthy lifestyle
- right nutrients provide energy
- fats, sugar, salt have negative effects and increase risk of obesity
- not eating enough = malnutrition
What are the effects recreational drugs have on your body ?
- affects coordination, speech, judgement
- large amounts increases blood pressure
- heavy drinking damages liver, heart, muscles, brain, digestive and immune system
- damages cells in lungs (cilia)
- increased risk of infection and bronchitis & pneumonia
- damage alveoli
- risk of lung cancer
- addictive nicotine = increased heart rate, blood pressure
What are the effects activity level has on your body ?
- increases health
What are the effects work / rest / sleep balance has n your body ?
- rest relieves stress / anxiety
- stress = high blood pressure
- stress affects emotional / metal health
- insomnia causes depression
- rest allows body to recover
- lack of sleep = lack of concentration , coordination
What is a sedentary lifestyle ?
not exercising enough
What are the effects of a sedentary lifestyle ?
overweight, overfat, obese
- strains cardiovascular system
- high cholesterol
- risk of strokes
- type 2 diabetes
- decreases speed, flexibility, agility
- lose muscle tone
- poor sleep
State some facts about health issues
- 1993 to 2009, women has higher obesity rate than men
- 2010 men had higher obesity rates than women
What is a balanced diet ?
a balanced diet contains the best ratio of nutrients to match you lifestyle
What are the 2 types of nutrients ?
MACROnutrients - protein (15% - 20%), fats (25%v - 30%), carbs (55% - 60%)
MICROnutrients - vitamins, minerals
What do carbs, fats and proteins have in common ?
they all give you engery
What to carbs do ?
- provide energy to muscles
- some get used straight away
- others are stored in the liver and muscles or turnd into fat
What do fats do ?
- made from fatty acids
- provide energy for low intensity exercise
- keep body warm
- protect organs
- absorb certain vitamins
- source of omega 3 and 6
What does protein do ?
- helps with growth and repair
- repair muscle after exercise
- make amino acids
What do vitamins do ?
help your bones, teeth, skin and tissues to grow
What does vitamin A do ?
- growth and vision
What does vitamin D do ?
- strong bones
- prevent injuries
What does vitamin C do ?
- good for skin
- helps immune system
- helps you stay healthy
What do minerals do ?
- help bones, teeth and tissue
- help in chemical reactions
What does calcium do ?
- strengthens bones and teeth
- strengthens muscle contractions
What doe iron do ?
- making red blood cells
What does water do ?
- chemical reactions e.g. sweat
- prevent dehydration which leads to thinker blood and less blood flow to the muscles
- decreases body temp
- prevents muscle fatigue
- prevents slow reaction
What does fibre do ?
- helps digestive system