Flashcards in SOGs - Section 24 Hazardous Materials Deck (29)
According to the Hazmat Incidents SOG, what are the 5 guidelines for the approach and placement of Apparatus?
1) when possible approach from upwind, uphill
2) try to approach from different directions to provide flexibility
3) initial placement should be beyond the evac, distance as per ERG
4) initial placement shall be off property to restrict access of vehicles onto property - note: exception when building is determined large/set back from the road, first apparatus may be placed on the property while still maintaining a safe distance.
5) fire control shall direct co rep to bring info and meet 1st apparatus
According to the Hazmat Incidents SOG, the 1st arriving apparatus shall determine and announce what over the radio?
1st arriving apparatus will determine hot, warm and cold zone and shall announce them over the radio. They shall control Entry/exit of the hot and warm zones.
According to the Hazmat Incidents SOG, the 1st arriving apparatus will gather what 3 important pieces of information?
1) the hazmat involved
2) the casualties or injured persons
3) what actions persons on scene have already taken
According to the Hazmat Incidents SOG, how will 1st arriving apparatus protect on-scene personnel and civilians?
By isolating and evacuating the scene as required.
According to the Hazmat Incidents SOG, if a Rescue into the hot zone is required with inadequate PPE, the IC must undertake a hazard risk analysis including considering what 3 things?
1) how great is the risk
2) how long will the rescue take
3) what are the patients chances of survival if a rescue is attempted
According to the Hazmat Incidents SOG, if Hazmat Team has not arrived before entry is made, how should a decontamination area be set up?
By using a charged hose-line with personnel dressed in full PPE, ensure runoff can be controlled.
According to the Hazmat Incidents SOG, if required, request assistance from what 4 agencies?
1) company representatives
2) region of Peel spills control
According to the Hazmat Incidents SOG, who is responsible for the clean up?
The person/company who had control of the hazmat prior to its release
According to the Hazmat Incidents SOG, prior to leaving the scene, transfer the responsibility of the incident to possible what 3 competent agencies?
1) region of Peel spill control
3) a clean-up company or company rep
According to the Hazmat Incidents SOG, what should the IC ensure of everyone who received a direct (unprotected exposure)?
That they are sent to the hospital
According to the Hazmat Incidents SOG, the IC should prepare a post incident analysis when what occurs and forward it to who?
For incidents that require the donning of chemical suits, a post incident analysis is to be forwarded to the Division Chief of Training and Fire Admin.
According to the Hazmat Incidents SOG, the Hazmat Sector Officer should consult with the IC to determine what 4 things?
1) determine/confirm actions required to remove non-essential personnel from the area of danger, if not already done
2) advise IC if protection in place should be considered
3) adjust size/location of zones
4) determine/confirm actions required to stabilize the hazmat
According to the Hazmat Incidents SOG, the HSO shall determine what 4 hazard and risk factors?
1) hazardous nature of the materials including toxicity, flammability and reactivity
2) quantity of the hazmat
3) containment system and type of stress applied to container
4) Level of available resources
According to the Hazmat Incidents SOG, when the Hazmat cannot be identified what must the HSO do?
Assume a ‘Worst Case Scenario’
According to the Hazmat Incidents SOG, prior to Team entering the hot zone, the HSO shall ensure what 3 things?
1) a Decon area is ready
2) back up personnel are standing by to assist entry team
3) entry team has specific orders as to where to go and what tasks are
According to the Hazmat Incidents SOG, the HSO shall determine the decontamination Level according to what?
The Decontamination Manual
According to the Hazmat Incidents SOG, what should be done with all contaminated equipment that is to be kept?
It should be washed in/or over a portatank using the decon solution prior to leaving the scene.
According to the Hazmat Incidents SOG, what should be done with all waste-water, including contaminated decon solutions?
It should be put into one holding tank where it may be pumped out for proper disposal.
According to the Hazmat Incidents SOG, what shall be done with all solid waste (disposable suits, gloves, tape or equipment) that cannot be properly decontaminated?
It shall be placed in plastic bags for proper disposal
According to the Hazmat Incidents SOG, how shall used decontamination equipment and PPE travel back to station so as not to expose personnel to vapours being emitted?
By a maintenance truck.
According to the Decontamination SOG, Emergency/Gross Decontamination is defined as?
The rapid removal of potentially harmful substances from responders or civilians.
According to the Decontamination SOG, Mass Decontamination is defined as?
The process of decontaminating large populations that have been potentially exposed to harmful substances.
According to the Decontamination SOG, Technical Decontamination is defined as?
The means of thoroughly decontaminating firefighters and members of allied agencies at a Hazardous Materials Incident
According to the Decontamination SOG, what are the 9 guidelines to Emergency/Gross Decontamination?
1) Captains shall order this at any incident where personnel/occupants have been exposed to potentially harmful environments or contaminants
2) decon method must be chosen before removal of PPE
3) SCBA shall remain on until process complete
4) at structure fire PPV fans may be set up to speed off-gassing
5) a hand line on low pressure wide fog will be used to remove gross soiling - done on grassy area to avoid runoff into sewers
6) after contaminants removed, SCBA can be removed in warm zone
7) bag PPE and send for special cleaning
8) personnel proceed immediately to cold zone
9) upon return to station, personnel shall shower and put on clean uni
According to the Decontamination SOG, when shall Captains set up the Mass Decontamination operation and will coordinate it with what 3 agencies/teams?
This operation will be set up at the recognition of any incident involving a large number of people that have been potentially exposed to harmful substances. It is to be coordinated with:
1) Peel Regional Police
3) BFES Hazmat Team
According to the Hazmat Fires SOG, particular information for first responding personnel to gather include what 4 items of info?
1) Hazardous materials involved
2) Chemical names
4) containment systems
According to the Hazmat Fires SOG, before entering the hot zone, a thorough hazard risk analysis shall be performed. What are the 5 important questions in this phase?
1) potential for hazmat to react explosively
2) are there hazmats that may spontaneously polymerize
3) is there a BLEVE hazard due to over-pressurization
4) is there a potential that personnel may contact hazmats that are toxic or corrosive, particularly thru the skin
5) are hazmats present that react energetically with water, air or other contaminants and are they involved in the fire
According to the Hazmat Fires SOG, all extinguishing agents must be assessed for their compatibility with the hazmat involved, preferably initial attacks are to be made with what agents?
Dry chem and/or CO2 extinguishers.