Flashcards in SOGs Section 17 - Ventilation Deck (11)
According to the Ventilation SOG, what is considered the mainstay of fire control?
Controlling the Air
According to the Ventilation SOG, fire control may be gained and maintained by doing what 2 things.
1) limiting ventilation
2) controlling flow paths
According to the Ventilation SOG, personnel should be aware at all times that fire behaviour may change drastically due to the creation of openings in the structure by what 3 occurrences?
1) exiting occupants
2) structural integrity failure from heat, (windows blow out)
3) firefighter actions
According to the Ventilation SOG, when determining and establishing a tactical plan for ventilation, what are the 6 factors that determine the Ventilation Profile?
1) existing or potential flow paths
2) location and stage of the fire
3) fuel or vent limited
4) wind direction
5) smoke conditions - vol, velocity, density, colour
According to the PPV SOG, what is the purpose of this SOG?
To establish guidelines for the use of PPV post fire control. (After the fire is out)
According to the PPV SOG, what are the 6 ventilation profile guidelines when establishing PPV?
1) ensure fire is under control
2) fan operations shall be coordinated with interior personnel
3) fan placement should allow for complete air flow coverage of the inlet
4) exhaust locations should be created as necessary to ensure controlled smoke removal
5) an ongoing risk assessment shall be conducted
6) consider discontinuing the use of the fan when checking for extension
According to the PPA SOG, how is PPA used to improve the speed of access to the fire location and occupants?
By creating an unidirectional flow path to remove smoke and heat and other combustion products from a structure.
According to the PPA SOG, what will greatly increase the effectiveness and safety of PPA?
Combining PPA with transitional attack and having interior crews apply water into the ceiling to facilitate gas cooling while proceeding to the fire room/location.
According to the PPA SOG, the PPA tactic may be used if what 6 criteria are met?
1) a 360 size up has been completed
2) confirmation from rescue sector that Vent Enter Isolate Search has protected the victims location (Victims isolated from flow path)
3) fire location is determined
4) the fire does not involve the structure
5) the exhaust outlet should be at least of equal size to the inlet
6) minimum of 2 crews on scene
According to the PPA SOG, what are the 8 tactical considerations for PPA?
1) crews are ready with a charged hoseline
2) attack is being conducted from upwind to downwind
3) no class B chemicals or potential for dust explosion
4) exhaust outlet exposures are protected
5) outlet is monitored for changing conditions
6) combine exterior water application simultaneously with PPA
7) consider extension into void spaces after PPA, shut down fan until no extension is determined
8) creating additional openings not in the fire room will create additional flow paths, making PPA ineffective with potential to draw the fire into all flow paths