Flashcards in Sources of Personal and Ethical Decision Making Deck (11):
How does Jesus guide Christians when making ethical decisions?
- through the love of others
- social justice
What is love of others?
- where Jesus taught the Golden rule
- "To treat others as you want to be treated"
What is forgiveness?
- Jesus' message was one of forgiveness
- Jesus taught the parable of the Prodigal Son where God will forgive our sins
- Jesus was forgiving, even on the cross
What is service?
- At the last supper, Jesus washed the feet of his disciples and this was a servants job
- Jesus showed his disciples how to love one another by being a servant
What is social justice?
- The Parable of the Sheeps and the Goats
- Jesus teaches that Christians have a duty to help those in need
How has Jesus fulfilled the Law?
- many laws in the old testament are about how to make sacrifices in order to get Gods forgiveness
- these laws are irrelevant because Christs death was the perfect sacrifice that brought forgiveness and salvation
What is conscience?
- the innermost core of our being where God speaks to us
- the faculty that assists in making judgements about right and wrong
- primacy of conscience is when you put it first
What is Natural law?
- humans naturally and instinctively know what is right and wrong because God has placed a moral law in every persons heart
- discovered by reason
What do Protestants say about natural law?
- people cannot work out what is right and wrong for themselves because they are sinful
- all morality comes from God as revealed in the Bible
what do Catholics say about Natural law?
Sin has affected the ability to choose what is right but not the ability to know what is right