Flashcards in Surgical Attachments & Drains Deck (37)
What is a cardiac portable telemetry?
- Mobile continuous ECG recording
- Externally attached ECG dots
- ECG relayed to monitor at nursing station and/or bedside monitor
What are ostomys and somas?
- Surgically created openings from internal organs to skin
- Allows excretion of faecal matter bypassing lower GI tract
- Attached to drainage bags
What are wound drains?
- Passive bags that drain fluid/blood without suction
What is important to remember about wound drains?
- Identify every drain
- Keep below incision site if possible
- Can be hung off walking frames if safe
- Patients may be able to carry small bags
What are TED stockings?
- Anti-embolism compression devices
- Routinely used post surgery
- Hole at toe end
What should you do to avoid a patient slipping in TED stockings?
- Roll up so at least ball of foot is exposed