Flashcards in The mental capacity act 2005 Deck (5)
what is the first two key features of the mental capacity act?
1. To empower and protect vulnerable people who are unable to make their own decisions.
2. All adults have the right to make their own decisions..
what is the 3rd and 4th key features of the mental capacity act?
3. All adults should be assumed to have the capacity to make their own decisions unless proved otherwise.
4. Individuals have the right to support to help them make decisions.
what is the 5th and 6th key features of the mental capacity act?
5. When acting on behalf of someone without capacity, all decisions must be in their best interest.
6. Any intervention on someone without capacity should be that which is least restrictive of their basic rights and freedoms.
what is the final key feature of the mental capacity act?
7. Restraint must be proportionate and only carried out when necessary to prevent harm.