digitisation allows multiple info to be delivered across a range of media
EXAMPLE: IPhone - GSP, photos, TV, games…
Businesses using media as a platform to promote their business
EXAMPLE: Insta, selling business on their social media
Media convergence have changed the way individuals interact with each other.
EXAMPLE: OFCOM - Facebook remains default to 96% of UK adults online.
Media allows people to respond in ‘real time’ and select multiple stories at the same time from different resources.
JENKINS - Audience not PASSIVE ANYMORE - the public are not just consumers but are also producers.
Collective intelligence - who says it? what does it meannnn?
JENKINS - participaroty culutre = collective intelliegence.
“None of use know everything but each of us know something” –> “we can piece everything together, combine our skills”: thanks to media!
General divide - OFCOM
OFCOM - 12 to 15 yr olds more liekly to engage in cross-media mutli-tasking (texting a friend whilst watching TV).
Poor cant afford new techology - New media seen as M/C, creates a divide.
Gender divide - OFCOM
OFCOM - Males 23.3 hrs a week, females 17.8 hours a week
Global digital divide…
WORLD BANK 2012 - 3/4 of the world have access to a mobile phone = spread to Africa, not a traditional thing.
NEOPHILIACS view on new media - Curran and Seaton
- increase consumer choice
- e-commerce revolution (retail become electric)
- increase democracy (gives people a voice when they wouldn’t of normally been heard).
CULTURAL PESSIMISTS view on media
- Not-so-new media CONFORD and ROBINS, people still use the main sources like TV, radios and phone to get information.
- domination of media conglomerates JENKINS, internet controlled by a small group of businesses.
- reinforce elite power
- decline in popular culture
- commercialisation (cookies, monitoring, targeting).
Criticisms of new media
- lack of regulation (porn, racist, terrorist propaganda, bullying, online trolling.
- No governing or moral code, truth selective.
criticism of cultural pessimists
New digital media creates citizen journalists = more influence and control to the audience.