Flashcards in TILTING SKILLET/FRYER/STEAMER/STEAM KETTLE Deck (22)
A tilting skillet can _____, _____, _____, _____, ______, ______, and ______.
Stew, simmer, boil, braise, Grill, sauté, and fry.
The eight steps in using the tilting skillet are:
1. Set thermostat and preheat 15 minutes.
2. Follow recipe directions for oiling skillet and cooking food.
3. Close cover, if possible, to save energy (for simmering and boiling).
4. Adjust vent when cover is closed; vent may be open to allow access steam or vapor to escape.
5. To avoid steam burns stand to one side when opening lid.
6. Use long-handled off-set spatula when grilling.
7. To remove excess grease, skillet maybe tilted slightly.
8. Soak skillet with warm water as soon as possible is completed.
The six steps in caring for the tilting skillet are:
1. Put water and detergent in skillet.
2. Wash with soft cloth or brush. Heat if necessary to loosen food.
3. Be certain drip lip and pour spout corners are clean.
4. Rinse sanitize and air dry.
5. Occasionally clean underside and combustion chamber.
6. Keep corner hinge and tilting device oil.
What are the two special precautions to protect skillet?
1. Never use steel wool, a metal sponge, our harsh scouring powder.
2. Never tap Spatula on side of skillet.
The deep fat fryer ___________.
Submerges food in hot fat or oil to cook.
Desirable fats and oils for deep fat frying are _______, ________, ________, and ________.
Hydrogenated vegetable oils, corn oil, cottonseed oil, and soybean oil.
Simmer food at
Sauté food between
300° and 500°
Fry food between
325° and 350°
The five steps in using a deep fat fryer are:
1. Fill tank to recommended level with fat or oil.
2. Adjust thermostat, usually between 300° and 350°.
3. Prepare food.
A. Have uniform size and shapes.
B. Have as dry as possible.
C. Remove excess breading.
4. Place food in basket.
A. Put non-sticky food in basket and lower.
B. Lower basket first, then place sticky food in fat.
C. Avoid overloading or food will be greasy.
5. Raise basket and drain when frying is completed.
The nine steps in caring for cooking fat or oil is essential for high-quality products:
1. Keep fat or oil below it's smoking point.
2. Keep water out of fat.
3. Keep salt out of fat.
4. Remove food particles.
5. Add fresh fat to replace what has been absorbed.
6. Replace all fat if it smokes at 350°, is deeply discolored, or has a strong smell and bad flavor.
7. Turn thermostat to 200° during slack periods.
8. Cover fat when cool.
9. Pack solid shortening into fryer before turning on heat to melt; melt at 200°.
The five task for cleaning fat and deep fat fryer:
1. Strain fat after each use.
2. Check quality of fat after each use.
3. Clean exterior of deep fat fryer after each use.
4. Clean fryer baskets after each use.
5. Clean interior of fryer when fat is changed.
A. Gas heated fryers are usually cleaned in place with boiling water and a cleaning agent, rinsed, and dried.
B. Electric fryers are disassembled and washed at pot sink.
Where does steam come from?
Cooks food evenly and quickly.
Steam comes in _______ with the food in a steamer.
What are the five things cooking in a steamer does?
1. Reduces cooking time.
2. Produces better quality food.
3. Increases efficiency of kitchen personnel.
4. Reduces shrinkage.
5. Saves energy.
What are the four kinds of steamers?
2. High pressure.
3. Convection (pressure-less).
4. Combination pressure/convection.
What are the 10 steps in using a low pressure steamer?
1. Place prepared food in proper pan (solid pans if liquid is needed; perforated pans otherwise).
2. Check pilot light, if gas model.
3. Check Water-level insight gauge.
4. Fill tank if needed.
5. Turn on heat source.
6. Preheat compartment.
A. Close and seal the doors.
B. Pull steam valve.
C. Allow pressure to reach recommended level (3 to 5 psi).
D. Vent by pushing in steam valve and waiting for gauge to read "0".
E. Open compartment door.
7. Place food in steamer and close and seal the door.
8. Pull steam valve.
9. Set timer went correct pressure is reached.
10. Vent steamer when timer goes off.
The seven steps to care for the steamer are:
1. Daily blow down.
2. Remove and clean shelves daily.
3. Clean interior daily.
4. Clean door gasket daily.
5. Remove and clean inner door weekly.
6. Lubricate wheel screw monthly.
7. Leave doors ajar when not in use to prolong life of rubber gasket.
What is a steam jacketed kettle?
Steam is captured between two metal pots in a steam jacketed kettle.
What are the 10 steps in using a steam jacketed kettle?
1. Close drain valve.
2. Install slotted drain cover, if needed.
3. Check water gauge.
4. Check to see that steam supply is on.
5. Turn steam control valve to full heat.
6. Check pressure gauge.
7. Fill kettle with food to be cooked.
8. Adjust steam control valve to regulate cooking rate.
9. Use safe techniques.
A. Stand to left and raise lid slowly with handles.
B. Use long handled utensils.
10. Remove food immediately.