Flashcards in Unit 1B - Tropical Rainforests - Deforestation and impacts Deck (13)
Process by which natural forests cleared through logging and burning. Used for wood or area
6 reasons for deforestation?
Population pressure, mineral extraction, energy development, commercial logging, commercial and subsistence farming, road networks
What is slash and burn?
Clearing and burning forest
Cutting down trees for sale as timber or pulp
Minerals extracted from mines?
Iron, manganese, nickel, tin, bauxite, beryllium, copper, lead, tungsten, zinc and gold
What is lost when forest is cleared?
What releases CO2 contributing to climate change and absorbs CO2?
Released by burning trees and absorbed by trees
What are soils like after deforestation?
Not fertile. Quickly exhausted, susceptible to soil erosion
1 social -ve of deforestation?
Affects indigenous people
4 economic +ve of deforestation?
- Improved transportation means easier access
- logging, farming and mining creates jobs
- lots of money from selling resources
- tax on resources can be used to improve education, health, etc.
3 economic -ve of deforestation?
- profits from large-scale farming and selling resources often go to large companies set up in TRF.
- small-scale farmers lose out
- resources later use up or destroyed that countries depend on
1 environmental +ve of deforestation?
Vital source of medicines