Flashcards in 17- reproduction in humans Deck (60)
- found outside body
- make sperms
- make testosterone (sex hormone)
- Sac supporting testis outside the body
- ensures sperm kept in temp lower than that of the body
A tube that carries sperms out of testes to urethra.
Makes the seminal fluid for sperms to swim in.
Carries both urine & sperms at different times out of the body.
- make egg cells
- make female sex hormones
- Carry the egg cell away from the ovaries to the uterus.
- Site of fertilization.
Has thick walls, made of muscle, can stretch when a
woman is pregnant. It is where the embryo develops.
The neck of uterus, supplies mucus to the vagina
part of the birth canal, it is muscular and stretchable
The fusion of the nuclei of male gamete [sperm] & female gamete [egg cell].
adaptive features of egg cell
- cytoplasm with a store of energy (for zygote ltr)
- jelly like coating to stop sperms after fertilization
adaptive features of sperm cell
- has a tail for movement
- contains enzymes in acrosome to digest membrane of egg
- large number of mitochondria to supply energy
head region of sperm cell
motility of gametes
sperm- moves (swim)
egg- doesnt move
size of gametes
egg larger than sperm
number of gametes released
sperm- millions at a time
egg- once a month
genetic material of gametes
structure of sperm
enzymes, tail and mitochondria
structure of egg
has nutrients in the cytoplasm
contains amniotic fluid which protects the embryo and allows the fetus to movement during growing
the fertilized egg
- its what connects the fetus's blood to and from the placenta for exchange of nutrients and removal of waste products
function of placenta
- allow nutrients to diffuse from mother to fetus
- allow wastes to diffuse from fetus to mother
- prevents toxins and pathogens from passing to the fetus
components of umbilical cord
fetal blood vessels
arteries - carry waste - fetus to placenta
veins - carry nutrients - placenta to fetus
function of umbilical cord
helps placenta in nutrients and gas exchange
he care and advice given to expectant mothers along with checks on fetal growth and development
advice for expectant mothers (antenatal care)
- balanced diet with folic acid, calcium, iron
- avoid tobacco drugs alcohol etc..
advantages of breastfeeding
- right amount of nutrients
- antibodies to prevent infection
- develop bond between mom and child