when was the second Lab Gov formed?
give 5 domestic policies/economic responses of the second Lab Gov?
- 1930 Housing Act:subsidies for house building/slum clearance
- 1930 Coal Mines act: reduced miners hours from 8 to 7.5
- 1931 Land Utilisation and Agriculture Marketing act: marketing boards to help producers
- 1931 London Transport Bill: created public corp. responsible for cheap and effective London transport
- Unemployment benefits increased
give 2 effects of WSC on GB?
- unemployment rose to 2.5m, then to 3m
- exports fell by half
what did Snowden want to do to ease WSC effects?
- gold standard
- balanced budget
what did Mosely want to do to ease WSC effects, and who agreed?
create public works
why did Mosely resign in 1930?
MacDonald rejected ‘Mosely Memorandum’
what was formed after May 1931 banking crisis?
what was suggested in the May Committees July 1931 report?
£96.5m of cuts to reduce £120m deficit (cuts to come from civil workers wages and unemployment benefit)
what did MacDonald personally favour as the way to reduce the deficit?
higher taxes on the rich
by Aug 19th, what was the agreed amount of cuts?
what was the result of the cabinets vote on Aug 23rd 1931?
11-9 in favour of accepting May Reports advice of cuts
when did MacDonald set out to resign?
24th Aug 1931
what did the King put MacDonald in charge of?
PM of National Gov
why did many Labour MPs believe MacDonald betrayed him when he accepted PM of Nat Gov?
- Nat. Gov went through with cuts
- called 1931 election, which he’d promised not to do and was disastrous for Lab
- was essentially leading Tory+Lib gov
- Bottled new ideas
- believed he was only going after his career ambitions
who were the 3 cabinet members who supported the Nat Gov?
how many MPs were for and against Nat Gov after 1931 election?
what were the 4 key parts of Nat Govs financial policies?
- came of gold standard
- aimed to balance budget
- 10% cut in unemployment benefits
- wage cuts to state employees
what were the 2 key points of Nat Govs trade policies?
- sterling area; members used £ rather than gold to settle trading accounts
- 1932 Import Duties tariff; to protect GB industry and agriculture
what were the 2 industry acts of Nat Gov?
- 1934 Special Areas act
- 1936 Cotton reorganisation act