how many visitors went to south bank for the festival of britain?
when was the festival of britain?
how long was the festival of britain?
give one criticism of the festival of britain?
money could’ve potentially been better spent
when did bread and potato rationing end?
how many council houses were built between 1945 and 1951?
what caused food import prices to go up in 1949?
devaluation of the £
what was significant about the 1945-51 labour government?
first time a labour government had lasted a full 5 years
what was A. bevan in charge of?
minister of health (housing etc)
who did the first labour divisions rise between and why?
A. bevan and morrison
- bevan wanted more nationalisation as the wc would like it
- morrison wanted to hold back and consolidate the mc vote
after morrison, who did bevan fall out with and why?
criticised charges for prescriptions, glasses etc in wake of korean war spending
after the 1950 election, what was labours majority reduced to?
why was the bevanite rebellion disastrous for labour?
- labour mp’s that had kept quiet spoke out, deepening the divide
- tories could directly attack
what was the result of the 1951 election?
labour= 295 seats tories= 321 seats
give 3 ways the tories were in good shape for the 1951 election?
- woolton had reorganised the party machine, generating funds etc
- pledged 300k new homes (more than labour could)
- vowed to keep the nhs as it was (consensus politics)
give 5 reasons for the loss of labour support by 1951?
- timing of 1950 election was before economic recovery was really known
- rationing and austerity tiring
- atlee etc old and worn out
- tories gained 4m votes, whilst labour only 2m between 45 and 51
- divisions split voter too