Flashcards in 2.1. Spine - Mechanical Back Pain Deck (13):
What is the cost to the NHS of Back Pain?
(1% of all NHS costs)
(>25% cost is in primary care)
What percentage of GP referrals to Orthopaedic outpatients is due to back pain?
How common is back pain?
80% of people will suffer from it at some point
What are the 5 Categories of causes of Back Pain?
1. Spondylogenic - Neurogenic
What are the 3 types of Back Pain Syndromes?
Note - this is not the 4 categories of causes of back pain
1. Mechanical Back Pain
2. Back Pain with Nerve Root Pain
3. Serious Pathology
What is the most common Back Pain Syndrome?
Mechanical Back Pain
How is Mechanical Back Pain initially managed?
2. Simple Analgesia Regularly
3. Avoid Bed Rest / Keep Active
4. Return to work with Explanation
What is the curative / recurrence rate of Mechanical Back Pain?
1. 90% will settle in 6 weeks
2. 60% will recur
How is Mechanical Back Pain which fails to settle managed?
2. Consider Alternative Therapy
3. Consider Facet Joint Injections
What is Back Pain commonly related to?
The workplace - physical work
What is the way forward to treating the increasing cases of back pain, and folk missing work due to it?
1. Discourage the idea that Back Pain is a Disease
2. Get people fit again (activity + reduce weight)
3. Avoid causative activities
4. Understanding psychology better (family dynamics, workplace problems, litigation etc.)
5. Understand the pathology better (Cause, difference in people)
What structures may be diseased, causing back pain?
1. Skin / Fascia / Fat
2. Muscle / Ligaments / Tendons
3. Disks / Bone / Joints
4. Dura / Nerves / Vessels
5. Abdominal Contents