Alloys Flashcards Preview

Real C1 > Alloys > Flashcards

Flashcards in Alloys Deck (14):
1

What is an alloy?

A mixture of 2 metals

2

'Iron' straight from the [ ] is only 96% Iron. The other 4% is [ ] like carbon

blast furnace
impurities

3

What is impure Iron used for? (Iron from a blast furnace)

Used as cast Iron. Used for ornamental railings. It is brittle - so not that useful

4

How do you get pure iron from blast furnace iron? Describe pure iron

All the impurities are removed.
This pure iron has a regular arrangement of identical atoms. The layers of atoms can slide over each other, which makes the iron soft and easily shaped. The iron is too bendy for most uses

5

Most pure iron is changed into alloys called [ x ]. [ x ] are formed by adding small amounts of [ ] and sometimes other metals to iron

steels, Steels
carbon

6

Name a property, the percentage of other metals and use of Low carbon steel

easily shaped
0.1% carbon
car bodies

7

Name a property, the percentage of other metals and use of High carbon steel

Very hard, inflexible
1.5% carbon
Blades for cutting tools, bridges

8

Name a property, the percentage of other metals and use of stainless steel

Corrosion-resistant
Chromium added and sometimes nickel
cutlery, containers for corrosive substances

9

Alloys are [ ] than pure metals

Harder

10

Different elements have different sized [ ]. So when an element such as [ ] is added to pure iron, the smaller carbon atom will upset the [ ] of pure iron atoms making it more difficult for them to [ ] therefore it's [ ]

atoms
carbon
layers
slide over each other
harder

11

What is the alloy bronze made out of?
Name a property and use

Copper and tin
Bronze is harder than copper
Good for making medals and statues

12

What is the alloy cupronickel made out of?
Name a property and use

Copper and nickel
Hard and corrosion resistant
Used to make 'silver' coins

13

What is the gold alloys made out of?
Name a property and use

Used to make jewellery
Pure gold is too soft. Metals such as zinc, copper, silver, palladium and nickel are used to 'harden' the gold

14

What is the aluminium alloys made out of?
Name a property and use

Aluminium has a low density, but it's alloyed with small amounts of other metals to make it stronger - used for aircraft