Flashcards in Ethanol Deck (8):
[ ] (C₂H₄) can be [ ] with steam (H₂O) in the presence of a [ ] to make ethanol
What's good about the ethene--> ethanol process?
1) At the moment it is cheap because ethene is fairly cheap and not much is wasted
What is bad about the ethene--> ethanol process?
1) Ethene's produced from crude oil, which is non-renewable resource that is running out
2) This means that using ethene to make ethanol will become very expensive
How is the ethanol that is in beer and wine made?
Fermentation of sugar
What is the word equation for the fermentation of sugar?
Sugar -> Carbon dioxide + ethanol
What is needed to ferment sugar?
What are the advantages of making ethanol through fermentation rather than from ethene?
1) Lower temperature and simpler equipment than with ethene
2) The raw material is a renewable source (fermentation)
3) Ethanol (fermentation) can e used as quite a cheap fuel in countries which don't have oil reserves for making petrol