Flashcards in Antimicrobial Residues Deck (17):
Which antibacterials are tested for in milk and why?
- G+ bacteria (lactobacillus, lactobacilli, strep) necessary for cheese production (lactose->acids to curdle cheese)
- penicillin hypersenstivity in humans
What is the name of the test for penicillins?
What barrier may affect withdrawal periods in dairy cattle?
Blood milk barrier. If drug cant cross -> 0 day withdrawal
How does the body affect drug residues?
- distribution (barriers, CNS, milk)
- activation and metabolism (liver)
- clearance (enterohepatic circulation, bladder/kidneys)
Where should drug withdrawals and portocols be looked up?
- Drug cascade
Who sets the regulations for drug withdrawal?
What is the standard withdrawal for milk and meat?
- 7d milk
- 28d meat
> double for organic animals
Which drug should not be used in egg producing birds?
- 14d withdrawal
Which drug may cause aplastic anaemia? Which drug can be used instead?
> especially after oral consumption
> very lipophilic
- use florphenicol (new version)
Which 2 drugs should never be used in food producing animals?
Who's responsibility are residues?
Farmer or owner
What is the main residue checked for in milk?
B lactams (penicillins)
Where are residues checked for in meat?
- Kidney test in abbattoir in case of suspicion or targetted surveillance
What surveillance results were found in "residues of vet medicine in food 2012"?
- bees and fish ±10% positive samples
- Bute 5% horses
- Zeronol (oestrogen derivative): fungal contamination of feed
- Thiuracil (T4 moderator): brassica in feed
What are the 2 WHO criteria for importance of Abx to human medicine?
1. Antimicrobial agent which is the sole, or one of limited therapy, to treat serious human disease
2. Antimicrobial agent used to treat diseases caused by either a) organisms that may be transmitted to humans from non-human sources or b) human disease caused by rgnaisms that may aquire resistnece genes from non-human sources
Define critically, highly and important to human medicine for WHO list of Abx?
- Critically important meet both criterion 1 and 2
- Highly important meet either 1 or 2
- Important do not meet criteria 1 or 2