Flashcards in Banning children and youth under the age of 18 years from commercial tanning facilities Deck (14):
What is the frequency of UV radiation?
1. UVA 315-400nm
2. UVB 280-315nm
3. UVC 100-280nm
What does UVA do?
Immediate pigment darkening upon exposure due to stimulation of synthesis of melanin molecules in the skin. Erythema and sunburn are acute reactions and it damages DNA resulting in discrete mutations
What does UVB do?
Further darkening of the skin in the days following exposure but activation of skin melanocytes. Erythema and sunburn are acute reactions and it damages DNA resulting in discrete mutations
What increases risk of cutaneous malignant melanoma (CMM)?
1. Light skin colour
2. Easy-to-burn skin
3. Skin moles
5. First degree relative w/ CMM
6. Personal history of CMM
7. High atypical nevus count
8. Red or blonde hair colour
What is the incidence of CMM in Canada?
15.2 per 100 000 in 2009
What percentage of skin cancer deaths are attributable to CMM?
What factors are responsible for the increase in CMM?
1. Better disease detection
2. Increased sun-seeking behavior w/out adequate UVR protection
3. A decrease in the earth's protective ozone layer
4. More skin exposure in current dress
5. More opportunity for leisure activity and vacations in sunny areas
6. Increased proliferation and popularity of tanning beds
What is the rate of artificial tanning use?
8.6-25.4% of individuals 13-19yo
What are risk factors for indoor tanning?
1. "Extreme" risk taking
2. Poorer self-esteem
3. Unhealthy lifestyle choices
4. Solitary fitness pursuits e.g. aerobics, gymnastics, weightlifting, condition training
5. Having a parent use indoor tanning
What is the increased risk for developing CMM in individuals who begin indoor tanning before age 35?
What is the risk of basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma with indoor tanning?
2.5 times greater for SCC
1.5 times greater for BCC
What other health affects are associated w/ indoor tanning?
1. Addiction (tanning releases B-endorphins)
2. Erythema and suborn
2. Skin dryness
5. Photodrug reactions
6. Disease exacerbation and induction
What are the recommendations regarding vitamin D and indoor tanning?
It is not a reliable or advisable source of vitamin D