Flashcards in Trampoline use in homes and playgrounds Deck (10):
What is the trend over time regarding trampoline injuries?
Injuries are increasing over time from 450 per 100 000 cases in 1999 to 640 per 100 000 cases in 2003
What is the percentage increase in hospital admissions for trampoline related injuries?
Which sports or recreational activity results in the most injury per participant requiring admission to hospital?
What are the most common injury type from trampolines?
What is the most common site of injury?
Upper limbs 30-80%
What ages are most at risk for trampoline related injuries/hospital admissions?
5-14yo (avg 7-10yo)
What is the most common mechanism of injury?
Falling on the trampoline mat
What rare but serious injuries can occur from trampolines?
1. Cervical spine injuries
2. Vertebral artery dssection
3. Significant knee ligamentous injuries
4. Popliteal artery thrombosis
5. Ulnar nerve injuries
What are the safety recommendations for trampoline use in supervised competitive training programs?
1. Use of safety pads covering the frame and springs of the trampoline
2. Safety pads covering the surface surrounding the trampoline
3. Presence of competent spotters trained in trampoline safety at ll times when the trampoline is in use
4. Only one person on the trampoline at a time in the centre of the mat
5. Avoidance of maneuvers beyond the athlete's skill level
6. Use of safety harnesses when learning or practicing more advanced skills