Flashcards in Baseball and softball Deck (10):
Should baseball and softball be encouraged in children 5-18yo?
Yes as its relatively safe
What are preventive measures to protect pitchers from throwing injuries?
1. Adequate core strength
2. Adequate scapular strength
3. Proper instructions in throwing mechanics
4. Conditioning and training
5. Delay introduction of the curveball until after age 14
6. Delay introduction of the slider until after age 16
7. Age guidelines regarding the number of pitches thrown daily
8. Rest requirements between pitching assignments
9. Season and yearly total pitch limits
10. Avoid pitching on multiple teams with overlapping seasons
11. Guidelines for rest requirements must be enforced across all teams
12. Youth pitchers should not pitch competitively in more than 8 months in 12m period
13. 3 months of rest from pitching each year
14. Pitcher should also not be a catcher for his or her team
What should be done for elbow and shoulder overuse injuries?
1. Encourage education re: early warning signs
2. Cease pitching immediately when signs of arm fatigue or pain occur
3. Seek timely and appropriate treatment of significant or persistent pain
What safety equipment should be used to minimize catastrophic baseball injuries?
1. approved batting helmets with face protection for hitters
2. helmets, masks with throat guards, chest protectors, and shin guards for catchers
3. hard plastic athletic cups for all male players
4. rubber spiked soles
5. consider head and facial protection for pitchers and infielders esp. in younger and less skilled players
What are the recommendations regarding heart chest barriers or protection to prevent commotio cordis?
No evidence for routine use but catchers should continue to wear approved chest protectors
What should be readily available within 3 minutes?
When should baseball players wear polycarbonate eye protection guards or shields or metal cages?
1. On batting helmets
2. At all times if functionally one-eyed
3. At all times if undergone eye surgery or experienced previous severe eye injuries
What are the age rules regarding impact balls?
1. Level 1 children <10yo with low skills
2. Level 2 children 10-12yo moderate skills
3. Level 1 or 2 children <10yo with moderate skills
4. Level 3 children >12yo or children 10-12yo w/ advanced skills
What are the recommendations regarding bat material?
Further research is required