Flashcards in Chapter 1- Basic Chemisrty & Cell Respiration Deck (77)
What are molecules ?
- when two or more atoms share electrons to form a stable
- the association of molecules with one another is what makes up a
What makes up the cell ?
the association of molecules with one another is what makes up a cell
Molecules can be compound or element ? True /False
what is the substance, molecule, that is made of different atoms ?
compound , not all molecules are compound
A substance that is made of the same atoms ?
- 4 elements; oxygen, hydrogen, nitrogen and carbon make
96% of body mass
An atom that has (-) or (+) charge because it has unequal number of protons and electrons?
An electrically charged atom (or group of atoms) with unpaired electron ?
Part of the level structure is the atoms; define it and list its properties ?
- ultramicroscopic building blocks of matter
- contain a nucleus (protons and neutrons) and surrounding
- the number of protons and electrons are equal
- the smallest part of a molecule means the undividable in greek
What is a chemical reaction ?
- it is a release of energy, when breaking a bond, this energy
can be used to form other bonds
- occurs when these bonds are formed or broken
- an energy that is stored on the bond between atoms
Chemical reaction changes the characteristics of those atoms or molecules ? True or False
It is the balance between anabolic and catabolic and the sum of all chemical reactions in the body ?
It is the buidling phase of metabolism, simple molecules are combined to make more complex ones and it is a net consumption of energy ? and give an example
- e.g H2O, CH4 , C6H12O2(glucose)
- glucose to glycogen
It is the breaking down phase of Metabolism, complex molecules are broken down into simpler ones, it is the net production of energy?
It is Catabolism
What is the energy currency of the body ?
It provides a form of energy that is used by the cell?
ATP how is it earned and spent ?
ATP energy is earned through Catabolic reactions and
spent through Anabolic reactions
How does the energy used from splitting the ATP ?
It is used in many functions
1. cell division
2. muscle contraction
3. movement of some substances across cell membrane
4. making large molecules out of smaller ones
What does it meant breaking the ATP ? write the equation ?
- Breaking the ATP = Release of energy
- Energy is RealEstate in order to perform various functions
- The equation is -
ATP (adenosine triphosphate) + H2O --->
ADP(Adenosine Diphosphate) + P (phosphate group) + E (energy)
- Energy(40% cell functions, 60% heat to help with body Temp)
What is Reforming Energy pertaining to ?
Reforming Energy = Energy used
- to reform ATP (attach P to ADP) requires energy
How does the cells get the energy to reform ATP?
-cells get energy to reform ATP primarily from;
carbohydrate, fats and proteins
What is the name of substances that make energy (reform ATP) called?
Substances are collectively called;
energy substrates (carbs, fats and proteins)
Depending on the cell, 1. the demand for energy, and the
2. energy substrate available,
different substrate are used?
What is the equation for Forming ATP?
ADP(Adenosine Diphosphate) + P(Phosphate group) + Energy ------>(ATP Synthase/buidling)
ATP(Adenosine triphosphate) + H2O (water)
A series of reactions that transfer energy from food to ATP is called ?
- cell respiration
What kind of process the cell respirations takes?
Cellular respirations happens without oxygen?
Cellular respirations happens with oxygen?
What are the 3 kinds of metabolism for cell respirations ?
1. Carbohydrate (Glucose metabolism)
2. Fat metabolism
3. Protein Metabolism
Fat can only be used to generate ATP only with presence of -------?
Oxygen - aerobically