Flashcards in Chapter 15 The Future of Police Administration Deck (162)
399. These officers are in the perfect position to detect the possibility of unethical behavior and step in before it occurs.
399. Procedures adopted by military, police, and governments to assist in preventing, reacting to, and investigating terrorist acts.
399. The process by which individuals aligned their ideology with that of a group and commit themselves to achieving the group's goals through violence.
399. Historically, many people believed that terrorist were more interested in…
Capturing media and other attention rather than killing large numbers of people. Now we know better.
399. One who earns the respect of others and can respect oneself.
Courageous self-contained ethical leadership agent.
399. Police must invest in intelligence gathering and sharing through community outreach and interagency communication to deal with this source of terrorism.
Radicalization within a community.
399. In the coming years, police agencies will need to focus resources on both sources of terrorism:
Radicalization within a community.
Radicalization directed from foreign countries.
399. With this source of terrorism, intelligence sharing becomes even more critical.
Terrorism directed from abroad.
399. Regardless of the source, police will need to understand how terrorists...
Are radicalized and how they organize themselves.
399. Police agencies might track foreign-born or domestic radicals through…
Intelligence fusion centers or similar interagency task forces.
400. If terror groups organize within local communities, the police should...
Focus on sources of radicalization within these communities.
400. A 2007 national Institute of Justice study revealed that radicalization of correctional clients is occurring in prison mostly through...
Personal relationships among inmates.
400. The radicalization process for inmates begins with a political or religious conversion through…
Extremist teachings, ultimately leading some inmates to commit violent acts once they have been released from prison.
400. Citizens tend to respond more favorably to outreach efforts of state, county, and local police, rather than the federal level, affirming the...
Critical role of local police in combating terrorism.
400. Strategies designed to prevent radicalization in the first place.
400. The strategies are just as important or more important than strategies aimed at reacting once a terrorist act has occurred.
400. A particularly disturbing development in the rise of terrorism against Americans is the…
Radicalization of US citizens who go on to commit terrorist acts within this country.
400. Police will need to face this harsh fact to contribute to the fight against terror.
That US citizens would wish to inflict terror or harm on fellow Americans.
399. We have learned that the terrorists that wreak the most havoc are those small groups motivated by...
political, ideological, or religious zeal and can blend in with general population.
401. Anyone managing the Homeland security program would do well to leverage support and contributions from…
Police organizations at all levels national, state, and municipal.
401. To be most effective, efforts of the government to enhance homeland defense will need to adopt an...
"All hazards approach" rather than focusing only on counterterrorism or emergency management.
402. DHS must develop mitigation and recovery programs for…
Natural and technological disasters as well as terrorist incidents.
402. DHS must take an "all-hazards approach"-Defining it's mission as addressing...
any situation that endangers US citizens.
402. DHS must train and leverage local, nongovernmental organizations, businesses, and volunteers in...
402. The toughest challenge in using local police to support homeland security efforts is…
Coordinating the 17,000 to 20,000 police agencies that exist across the United States.
402. This is the largest protective resource in the United States and now outnumber the police 3 to 1.
Private security services.
401. In the future as sources of terrorism shift and terrorists' strategies and tactics change shape, to combat terrorism, police agencies must adopt…
Flexible strategies and tactics.
In this era of globalization, free and democratic societies need to collaborate to fight terrorism. If they can manage this feat then...
All criminals, including terrorists, may find themselves with no where in the world to hide.
403. Across the globe, national leaders are debating how to incarcerate and adjudicate those suspected of (__ __).