Flashcards in Chapter 9 The Power and Practice of Effective Communication Deck (304)
211. Communication is a (__) involving the exchange of information between a (__) and a (__).
process; sender; receiver
212. Communication (Not information) can flow in these directions.
vertical; horizontal; diagonal
213. In addition to flowing in different directions, communication in a police agency can flow through several channels - ________ and ______.
215-219 Common Barriers to effective communication
1-poor com skills 5-denial
2-Back gnd diff. 6-unfamiliar lang
3-non cred source 7-lack of motivation
4-cmplx com chnls 8-org.culture
220. An essential ingredient in the recipe for de escalating conflict and keeping the peace.
Effective Verbal Communication
219. The Primary Channels of Communication used by personnel in a Police Agency are ________, ________ and ________. (p. 219)
verbal; non-verbal; written
223. Three commonly used types of communication are: ______, ______ and ______. (p. 223)
meetings (verbal, formal), newsletters (written, formal) and "the grapevine (verbal, informal).
226. No matter which communication channel is being used, participants can expect to encounter challenges like communicating ______, _______ and ________. (p. 226)
across cultures; across genders; with special populations
211. Communication among human beings is a distinctive process that fulfills...
211. Communication for human beings serves...
211. Is a process, not an event.
211. The communication process "INCLUDES" the transmittal, receipt, and sharing of...
Problems, ideas, facts, beliefs, feelings, and values.
211. The communication process "INVOLVES" an exchange of...
Information between a sender and receiver.
211. This process is also a reciprocal interchange between the parties involved.
211. Through ____, the sender transmits ____ through a channel to a receiver.
211. Characters, letters, words, and images are examples of....
211. Who decodes (interprets) the message in the communication process?
211. How the receiver responds to the message is strongly determined by...
How the person interprets the message.
211. Within a police agency, communication demonstrates unique patterns in terms of the directions in which..
information (not communication) flows and the formality or informality of communication.
211. In addition to exchanging information we also have goals we seek to fulfill such as:
• To be understood.
• Understand others.
• Persuade others.
211. Translation of information into a communication medium defines...
What direction are communications between people at the same levels in the hierarchy but working different functions?
212. What direction are the communications between people at different levels in the organization Hierarchy but work in different functions?
212. When an FTO sends an email to his recruit, laying out goals and the recruit responds with questions, what direction did communication flow?
212. When the head of IT and the facilities manager discuss whether the computer network should be changed, what direction did communication flow?
212. Communication direction between people at different levels in the reporting hierarchy but who work the same function.
213. Formal channels are often...
Vertical and represent protocols established by the agency.
213. Which channels of communication might include an all hands meetings called by the chief?
213. Which channels of communication are used for performance evaluations conducted by a supervisor for a subordinate?