Flashcards in Chapter 4 Deck (31):
Unit of measurement for mass of an atom
1 amu = 1.66 x 10^-24
Where can you find the atomic weight
number on periodic table
Whats the amu of an element on the periodic table?
the number listed on periodic table
Whats the number for a mole of atoms?
6.022 x 10^23
Another name for a 'mole'
Definition of a mole?
How to convert grams to moles?
Divide grams by moler mass
the smallest collection of atoms that provide two important pieces of information
-Identity of the atoms
-The relative # of each type of atom
compounds containing one or more water molecules as an integral part of their structure
sum of the atomic weights of all atoms in the compound as represented by its correct formula (expressed in amu)
How to find amu of a compound
add amu of all elements in compound up
what is the atomic weight also known as?
Formula weight is also known as?
What is the molar mass of (NH4)sub3POsub4
What is the 'molar mass'?
It's the mass in grams of 1 mole of atoms
What is molar mass of carbon?
12.01 g/mol C
shorthand notation of a chemical reaction
(starting Materials) - the substances that undergo change in the reaction
Substances produced by the reaction
5 Features of a Chemical Equation?
1. Identity of products and reactants must be specified using chemical symbols
2. Reactants are written to the left of the reaction arrow and products are written to the right
3. Physical states of reactants and products may be shown in parentheses
4. Symbol ^ over the reaction arrow means that energy is necessary for the reaction to occur
Evidence of a reaction occurring?
- Release of a gas
- Formation of a solid (precipitate)
- Heat is produced or absorbed
- Color changes
Subtle indications of a reaction?
- Heat or Light is absorbed or emitted
- Changes in the way the substances behave in an electrical or magnetic field before and after reaction
- Changes in electrical properties
Patterns of chemical reactions
Types of combination Reactions
1. Combination of a metal and a nonmetal to form a salt
2. Combination of hydrogen and chlorine molecules to produce hydrogen chloride
3. Formation of water from hydrogen and oxygen molecules
4. Reaction of magnesium oxide and carbon dioxide to produce magnesium carbonate
Types of decomposition reactions?
1. Heating calcium carbonate to produce calcium oxide and carbon dioxide
2. Removal of water from a hydrated material
Law of conservation of Mass?
matter cannot be either gained or lost in the process of a chemical reaction
What must the total mass of the products equal?
Total mass of the reactants
- Chemical change in a solution that results in one or more insoluble products- To predict if a precipitation reaction can occur it is helpful to know the suitabilities of ionic compounds
maximum amount of product that can be produced-pencil and paper yield
amount produced when the reaction is performed -laboratory yield