Flashcards in Chronic kidney disease II Deck (22):
- presence of NITROGENOUS waste products in the blood
- elevated BUN and creatinine
- azotemia plus constellation of signs and symptoms that may accrue as a result of renal failure
indications for dialysis are due to uremia or azotemia?
uremia - need constellation of symptoms
what is the main complication of uremia?
what is the number one cause of death in CKD patients?
systemic disorder of mineral and bone metabolism due to CKD, manifested by either one or a combination of:
- abnormalities in calcium, phosphorous, PTH, vitamin D
- abnormalities in bone turnover, mineralization, volume linear growth, strength
- extra skeletal calcification
what labs are usually seen in CKD patients?
- high phosphorous
- normal or low calcium
- secondary hyperPTH
type of extraosseus calcification characterized by systemic medial calcification of the arterioles that leads to ischemia and subQ necrosis
- small vessel mural calcification with or without endovascular fibrosis
- extravascular calcification
- thrombotic vaso-occlusion
slowing the rate of progression of CKD is about modifying what process?
what is the target BP in diabetics and non-diabetics with CKD and urine albumin UNDER 30 mg/24 hours?
less than or equal to 140 / 90
what is the target BP in diabetics and non-diabetics with CKD and urine albumin OVER 30 mg/24 hours?
less than or equal to 130 / 90
what is the recommended target HbA1c for glycemic control in prevention of CKD progression?
patients with GFR under 15 mL/min are prone to ______________
what is the treatment for CKD volume overload?
- salt and water restriction
- diuretic therapy (loop)
when is anemia diagnosed in patients with CKD?
- Hb under 13.0 g/dL males, 12.0 g/dL females
what is the treatment for anemia in CKD patients?
EPO and nutritional supplements
what is the goal Hb in CKD anemia?
10 - 11 g/dL
what is the treatment for CKD hyperkalemia?
- low K diet
- diuretics and alkali
when does hyperphosphatemia occur (early / late)? what does it lead to?
- occurs early
- leads to secondary hyperPTH
what are the treatment options for CKD V?
- maintenance hemodialysis
- peritoneal dialysis
- kidney transplant
- palliative care