Flashcards in Clicker Training Deck (15):
Why is clicker training good?
Speeds up learning process
-Cuts training time in half.
Always exactly the same
- non emotional
Used during the acquisition phase of training a new behavior
Muscles in motion.
- click before the dog stops moving.
- observation is the precursor to good timing.
Accidentally reinforce the wrong behavior.
Clicked too late so dog is rewarded for mouthing your hand instead of touching.
Brought to dog training by Karen prior and Gary Wilkes
Two types of markers?
Click signals the end of a behavior
- Conditioned to hear sound- behavior finished- reset.
Lets dog know to continue engaging in current behavior.
- great for chaining.
Teaching a dog to touch a specific body part to a designated location.
Eg nose to a target. Paw to a hand.
- have to teach targeting first before acquiring new behavior
Pairing behaviors to complete a new behavior.
Forward chaining - teaching first element in the chain to the last element. (A,B,C)
Backward chaining - (C,B,A)
Large, unexpected reward.
- dog makes a breakthrough.
Application of clicker training.
Great for desensitization
- eg nails clipped
Fears or phobias
- going to the vet
Training movie animals, marine mammals and horses.
A reward held in front of dog to guide into position
- need to wean away ASAP or dog becomes dependent on lure.
Physically assisting into position.
- dog may become dependent on physical prompt
Watching and imitating behavior.
Eg dog watches another dog get a reward for sitting so he sits as well
- dogs don't imitate humans
Dog offers a desired behavior on its own and is rewarded with a timely click.
Eg. Sit. Dogs offer this behavior more often.
- can't capture is dog doesn't offer behavior.
Rewarding close approximations of desired behavior
- need to understand the behavior you want.
- what are you clicking for?
- what are you not clicking for?
- hold off from clicking an earlier learned behavior.
What is clicker training?
Neutral marker paired with primary reinforcement.
- a conditioned reinforcer. Dog learns the marker means a reward is coming.
Taking a picture of the behavior at that exact moment.
Bridging stimulus between behavior and reward