Flashcards in E-collar Deck (25):
What type of stimulation is delivered?
Why is this important?
Non- directional stimulation
- dog does not know where the correction is coming from
With a leash correction the stimulus is directional. They know it is the handler giving the correction
What are 4 main brand of e-collars?
- Heavy duty, durable, lasts a long time
- large remote can be inconvenient and not very subtle
- many more levels
- good for sensitive dogs and conditioning
- not as durable. Lasts 1 1/2 - 2 years
- stim a little more than a tap
- have to buy specific two dog models. Have to reset stim between each dog
Sport dog/ pet safe
- add extra collars as needed. Set stim level for each dog
- set up like a remote
- takes longer to set stimulation levels
- not as advanced as other brands
- sharper stimulation
What are the different stimulations
- stim is short and only happens once
- stimulation occurs for as long as you press the button
Automatic shut off after 8-12 seconds
- collar vibrates for as long as you hold the button
What are the most common features of e-collars?
- stimulation levels
- dogtra 0-120
- momentary vs continuous stim
- distance - 500ft - 2 miles
- size of transmitter/ receiver
- multi-dog models
- waterproof/water resistant
What are the safety features?
Automatic shut-off after 8-12 seconds of continuous stim
Button guard to prevent accidental stimulation
- variable transmitter settings
High up on neck
Light facing forward
Move receiver up and down to part hair and ensure prongs are in contact with skin
What year was the first remote collar made?
What was it used for?
Tri-tronics in 1960's
- used by sport dog trainers
- only had one level
What is a collar smart dog?
Dog knows the stimulation is coming from the collar or handler.
Will only obey when the collar is on.
Why collar should be part of everyday life
What are 5 e-collar myths?
- burning dog's neck
- remote collar is dangerous in water
- shock therapy
- makes all dogs aggressive
Rulers for wearing collar
Should not be worn for more than 12-14 hours.
Reposition collar every 6 hours
Moisture + pressure = pressure sores
E-collar must be initially paired with a leash. = give sense of direction.
Working level - high enough to feel but low enough to not set off panic.
Using collar without first conditioning won't work. Dog will run in opposite direction and not understand purpose of stimulation.
E-collar enforces discipline
Unnatural for dogs - nothing like it in nature
Trainer must be neutral
Start at lowest working level. More distractions = higher working level
Internalizing - dog may show no initial reaction then suddenly have a large reaction
- dog feels stim but shows no signs.
Signs to look for:
- ears perking up
- head turn
- scratching at collar
- looking around
- lays down
- sniff genitals
Low + continuous
- aversive to escape stimulus
- stim goes away when dog commits to command
High + momentary
- once proficient with command
- higher level - nick
- dog disobeys command
High Stim - bam!
- don't need to teach dog it's bad
- can't realize correction came from handler
3 action introduction
Come to me
Go away from me
Stay in place
"Sit" or "down"
- dog learns how to turn stim off by obeying commands
- after introduction you are able to teach other behaviours
Come to me
- teach dog to turn off stimulation by coming to you
Stim > "come" > dog commits > stim goes away> back up, praise, reward
Go away from me
- teaches dog to turn off stim by going away from handler
Stim > "place" > dog commits to "place" > stim off > praise, reward
Stay in position
- teach dog to turn stim off by staying in position.
Stim > "stay" > dog stays > stim off, praise, reward.
Can use sit or down
High vs low level stim
- to teach command
- until they understand command and language
- dog knows language and command
- dog blows you off/ ignores command
- dog ignores low level correction
- high + nick = pop and release correction
Advantages of e-collar
- removes handler involvement
- trainer remains neutral
- dog is in control of his own situation
- useful on a wide variety of temperaments
- long distance control
- very little stress on dog
- instant follow through
- gives owner more security
- dog has more freedom
- public perception - shock therapy
- reliability - electronics will eventually fail
- can be dangerous if used improperly
- lack of educational material on proper use
- people assume it's a quick fix and use without proper knowledge.
- until collar is conditioned do not stimulate dog around people or other animals.
-may associate stim with the person or animal
- work with a long line until dog is conditioned
- if dog is not responding check collar is on and properly fit
- ask if dog has ever been exposed to other types of stim collar. Eg electronic fence, bark collar
- only use a remote collar to reinforce commands that have previously been conditioned.
Never use an e-collar to solve aggression problems
- may cause symptoms to be capped
Creates a silent attacker
- use e-collar to teach incompatible behaviours
- if underlying problem is not recognized it could make problems worse.
Eg separation anxiety - suppresses symptoms and may make other symptoms worse. Pacing, drooling
- supervise first session - prevent downward spiral. Dog barks because of stim
- dog quickly becomes desensitized
- smell lingers
- correction is not immediately over