Flashcards in Endocrine 1 Deck (73)
What is known as the "Master Gland"?
Pituitary gland (hypophysis)
What makes up the Pituitary gland?
- Anterior and Posterior
The 2 lobes that make up the pituitary gland suspend from what?
Hypothalamus via pituitary stalk
What is the size of the pituitary gland and where is it located?
-Garden pea size
- Located in sphenoid bone at base of brain
What are the 6 hormones that are produced, stored, and secreted by the anterior pituitary lobe?
- FSH and LH
What are the 2 hormones stored and secreted by the posterior pituitary lobe?
What 2 hormones are produces by the hypothalamus?
- ADH (vasopressin)
- Oxytocin (Pictocin)
GH is responsible for what?
Growth, physical, and muscle development
TSH is responsible for what?
Stimulation of thyroid gland (T3, T4, calcitonin)
Prolactin is responsible for what?
Mammary glands- milk production
ACTH-Adrenocorticotropic Hormone is responsible for what?
Stimulates adrenal glands to release Cortisol
- important for Addisons dx and Cushings
FSH is responsible for what?
Gonadotropin- stimulates testes --> sperm
LH is responsible for what?
Stimulates Ovaries --> eggs
ADH - Antidiuretic Hormone (vasopressin) is responsible for what?
Water regulation and retention
Oxytocin (Pictocin) is responsible for what?
- Uterine contraction before and after deliver
- Let down of milk in mammary glands
- given in ER for bleeding postpartum
What is Acromegaly?
- Disorder d/t excess GH that occurs after growth plate cartilage fused in adulthood
- Enlarged hands and feet, widening teeth and face
- Widening as opposed to lengthening
What is Sheehan Syndrome?
- Hypopituitarism caused by blood loss during childbirth
- Post-partum pituitary gland necrosis
What is postpartum pituitary gland necrosis?
Ischemic in nature, hypovolemic insult to mother during or immediately after child birth
What is orange peel skin? and what is it caused by?
- Cause: hyperthyroidism
- Cellular buildup around pores that enhances shadows making pore appear larger
- Dehydration adds cellophane like sheen to skin and rough texture.
What is gigantism? and when does it occur
- Abnormally high linear growth d/t excessive action of GH
- Occurs when epiphyseal growth plates are open during child birth
What is hypogonadism?
- The body's sex gland produce little to no hormones
- Men: testes
- Women: Ovaries
What is the cause of dwarfism and how is it treated?
- GH deficiency
- Tx w/ GH
What is disproportionate in regards to dwarfism?
- Average size torso w/ shorter limbs
- Shortened trunk w/ longer limbs
What is proportionate in regards to dwarfism?
Body parts are in proportion but shortened
What are striae?
- Form of scarring on the skin w/ an purplish color
- Caused by tearing of the dermis
- Often a result of rapid stretching or rapid weight changes.
Striae may be influenced by hormonal changes associated with what?
What is the overview of pituitary disease process?
- Gradual insidious progression over long period of time
- Generally a single hormone vs several involved.
In general what is the etiology of Hypopituitarism or Hyperpituitarism? and is usually a dysfunction of what?
- Tumors (adenomas)
- Inflammatory dz
- Dysfunction: hypothalamus or pituitary gland
Sxs in pituitary disease depends on what?
The hormones that are involved