Flashcards in Ethics of Qualitative Research (Haverkemp) Deck (11)
What is emphasis of ethics in qualitative research?
Trustworthiness the relationship between researcher and participant
What do APA code of ethics say about qualitative research ethics?
Existing APA code is necessary, but insufficient code of ethics in qualitative research
How do qualitative and quantitative research differ on target and subject matter?
Qualitative focuses more on the specific rather than generalizable
How do qualitative and quantitative research differ on the role of researchers and participants?
Qualitative calls for greater researcher engagement as well as participants
How do qualitative and quantitative research differ on the research process?
1. Qualitative is more open-ended and discovery-oriented
2. Data analysis relies on researcher’s interpretive skills rather than existing knowledge
How do qualitative and quantitative research differ on virtue ethics?
Qualitative implies that moral and ethical choice must focus on the character of the researcher
What are Feminist ethics of care?
1. Relational nature of research rather than abstract principles or fixed rules
2. Emphasized by Gillian (1982)
What is required of researchers in ethical qualitative research?
1. Moral responsibility for research/subjects
2. Professional reflexivity
What ethical dilemmas are most salient in qualitative research?
2. Boundaries and multiple relationships
4. Informed consent
What is Mike Ellis’ take on qualitative vs. quantitative research ethics?
1. Artificial boundaries between qual and quan
2. Both get at same basic principles
3. Bottom line is do no harm,