Flashcards in Ethnic Differences in Achievement - Internal Factors (Labelling, Pupil Subculture). Deck (6)
Who discusses labelling of ethnic minorities in school?
1). Gillborn and Mirza.
2). Gillborn and Youdell.
How does Gillborn and Youdell argue labelling is responsible for the ethnic difference?
- Black children enter primary school = highest achievers.
- GCSE = worst results.
What did Gillborn and Youdell find about teachers' racial expectations of black pupils?
They expected them to misbehave =
- interpreted their behaviour as threatening.
What did Wright find about teachers labelling black pupils?
- assumed they weren't fluent English, so isolated them.
Who discusses teachers having stereotypical views on pupils' identities?
- ideal pupil identity.
- pathologised pupil identity.
- demonised pupil identity.